Galentine's Day Cherry Blossom Tea Mug
Posted by DecoArt on Jan 24th 2020
Use Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics to hand-paint mugs to share Valentine's tea with your best gal.
- ceramic mugs
- cotton swabs
- newspaper or dropcloth
- flat angular brush
Thoroughly wash and dry the ceramic mugs with hot, soapy water before painting.
Protect the work surface with newspaper or other disposable material.
Let the paint dry fully between layers before adding a second coat or changing colors.
Wash paintbrushes between colors and coats to keep the paint colors from mixing.
- Paint the tea cup handle in Soft Jade.
- Using a fine tip, angled brush and starting at the bottom of the handle, apply a thin, upward diagonal line across one side of the cup in Black Tie. (Keep the brush-stroke even, quick, and smooth.)
- Apply shorter, diagonal lines off the main line. (See photo.)
- Taper the lines toward the ends, the area farthest from the main line.
- Continue along the entire length of the main line until the lines resemble tree branches. (See photo.)
- For any areas requiring touch-ups, dip the end of a cotton swab in warm water and remove any imperfections along the branches.
- Repeat these steps on the other side of the mug, working from the handle outward.
- Dip the handle end of a fine tip paintbrush in Pink Cadillac.
- Gently dab the paintbrush at the end of the main line creating a small dot.
- Continue to dip and dab the paintbrush end creating four more dots in a circular shape.
- The five dots will resemble the flower petals. If needed, fill in the center of the flower with more Pink Cadillac.
- Repeat at the end of all lines or just before the tips. Add some single dots throughout as well.
- Mix equal parts of Cotton Ball and Pink Cadillac. Use the mix and a fine tip, angled paintbrush to apply highlights to some of the flower petal tips.
- Dip the handle end of a fine tip paintbrush in Raspberry.
- Gently dab the centers of each flower.
- For a top-rack, dishwasher-safe finish, place the finished mug in a cool oven; set the temperature to 325°F; bake for 30 minutes; then cool with the oven door partially open.