Ice Cream Cone Mixed Media Sign
Posted by DecoArt on Dec 21st 2015
Use Snow-Tex™ to enhance a delicious vintage sign, complete with a cherry on top.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- 3/4" flat brush
- #1 liner brush
- jute or hemp cord
- #1 round brush
- assorted scrapbook paper
- palette knife
- wooden plaque
- Trace the plaque onto scrapbook paper of your choice using a pencil.
- Trace over a second piece of scrapbook paper for the top of the sign.
- With a pencil, make a scalloped bottom to complete the second paper.
- Use a 3/4" flat brush to quickly apply the Americana Matte Decou-Page all over the plaque. Do not rinse brush.
- Quickly lay the biggest piece of traced scrapbook paper down first. Use the brush with Decou-Page to brush the paper onto the plaque, from the center out, to get out any bubbles or wrinkles. Do not rinse brush.
- Quickly lay down the smaller piece of traced scrapbook paper down on the plaque, overlapping the bottom. Use the same brush and more Decou-Page to smooth out any air bubbles. Rinse brush.
- Draw a cone or trace and transfer the cone shape onto the burlap. (You can use a black marker to help you see the pattern better.) Use scissors to cut it out.
- Use a pencil and the tracing and transfer papers to trace and transfer the border, words, and ice cream cone onto the plaque.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Terra Coral to paint on the border. (Do not fill in the scallop.) Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Sweet Mint to paint on all the words except "Ice Cream". Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Wisteria to paint on the circle and "Ice Cream". Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Snow White to paint the outline behind the words and to fill in the scallops in the border. Rinse brush.
- Use the 3/4" flat brush and Decou-Page to adhere the cone to the middle of the plaque. Brush more Decou-Page on top. (I slightly tilted the cone to fit around the words better.) Rinse brush.
- Use a palette knife to stir (6) parts Dark Chocolate with a big scoop of Snow-Tex. Use the mix to fill in the ice cream area. Using the palette knife, make another mix of (3) parts Dark Chocolate with a medium scoop of Snow-Tex to make the bottom edge of the ice cream. Wipe off palette knife.
- Use the #1 round brush and Terra Coral to paint on the cherry. Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Snow White to paint a highlight on the cherry. Rinse brush. Use the handle end of the brush with Snow White to make dots around the word "Ice". Wipe off handle end.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Dark Chocolate to paint the detail on the cone and to add a stem on the cherry. Rinse brush.
- Pour the bottle of Dark Chocolate on top of the ice cream to look like chocolate syrup.
- Use a toothpick to open the hanging openings that got covered when we decoupaged.
- Use scissors to cute jute or hemp cord to hang the plaque and tie knots on both ends.
- I decided to change the color of the words "I scream". I used the #1 liner brush and Teal Green to repaint the words. Rinse brush.
- Let dry completely.