Store accessories or wrap gifts in these retro hat boxes painted with Americana® Acrylics.
- tape measure
- parchment paper
- 1" painter's tape
- fine tip paintbrush
- 2" paintbrush
- round papier mache hat boxes
Protect the work surface with a sheet of parchment paper.
Allow paint to dry fully before applying additional coats of paint or changing color.
Make sure the paintbrush is completely dry when painting to avoid bubbles forming on papier mache boxes from excess moisture.
- Gather all the supplies.
- Find the midline around the circumference of the boxes' sides by measuring the boxes' sides from top to bottom minus the lids. Divide that measurement in half and mark that length around the circumference of the boxes. Mark around the full circumference of each box, about every 1" to 2". (See photo.)
- Place a piece of painter’s tape along the circumference of the box just below the marks. Using a 2" paintbrush, paint the upper area of the box in White Wash. Add an additional coat of paint as needed for full coverage. Repeat for the other box.
- Remove the painter’s tape. Paint the lower half of the larger box in Melon.
- Paint the larger lid in Bahama Blue and the smaller lid in Melon.
- Place the Mod Leaf stencil on the painted box aligning the center of the stencil with the painted line. Using a pencil, trace the stencil directly onto the box.
- Using a fine tip angled brush, paint the leaf pattern on the lower half of the box in Foliage Green covering all the pencil marks.
- Flip the stencil over and trace the same pattern above the line. Continue along the entire circumference of the box. Paint the leaf pattern on the upper half of the box in Mistletoe covering all the pencil marks.
- Paint the upper half of the small box in White Wash and paint the lower half in Bahama Blue.
- Paint the smaller lid in Melon.
- Following the same instructions as the larger box, apply the Mod Leaf stencil to the smaller sized box. Paint the leaf stencil in Foliage Green for the lower leaves and Mistletoe for the upper leaves.
- As an accent, use a fine tip angled brush and Silver to the leaf pattern. (See photo.) Continue applying a Silver accent to all the painted leaves on the larger hat box.
- Apply the same Silver accent to all the painted leaves on the smaller hat box.
- Apply a Silver accent to the rims of both box lids.