Hang this plaid, personalized stocking with care this Christmas with Americana® Acrylics and Fabric Painting Medium.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- wax paper
- 3/4" flat brush
- #10 flat brush
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 1" painter's tape
- jute or hemp cord
- canvas stocking
- wooden letter
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Rip the wax paper and fold to fit along the entire inside of the stocking (toe included).
- Rip the 1" painter's tape to make vertical stripes.
- Use a 3/4" flat brush to mix (1) part Lamp Black with (1) part Fabric Painting Medium. Use mix to paint on the vertical stripes. Rinse brush. Let dry completely. Remove tape.
- Rip more tape to make equally-spaced horizontal stripes.
- Use a 3/4" flat brush to mix (1) part Cherry Red with (1) part Fabric Painting Medium to paint the horizontal stripes. Rinse brush. Let dry completely. Remove tape.
- Use a #10 flat brush to mix (1) part Festive Green with (1) part Fabric Painting Medium to paint a stripe in between the Lamp Black stripes. Make one stripe the width of the brush to the left. For the thinner stripe next to it, turn the brush on its side. (Refer to photo for placement.) Repeat all vertically.
- Use the same brush and color to repeat thick and thin stripes horizontally. Rinse brush. Let dry completely.
- Use scissors to cut the wide burlap ribbon to fit toe, heel, and top opening. (Or cut pieces from a sheet of burlap.)
- Use a hot glue gun to adhere the burlap to the stocking.
- (Optional) Some may like the rustic looking strings on the sides, but I chose to trim them off.
- Use a 3/4" flat brush and Black Chalkboard Paint to paint the letter vertically. Rinse brush. Follow label instructions for drying time between coats.
- Use sandpaper to smooth out the edges and top of the letter. Wipe clean with a damp paper towel.
- Use a 3/4" flat brush and Black Chalkboard Paint to paint a second coat horizontally. Rinse brush.
- Wrap a piece of jute or hemp cord around the letter and use scissors to trim off excess.
- Use a hot glue gun to adhere the jute under the folded part of the stocking. Follow Americana Chalkboard label for cure times before writing with chalk.
- Once chalkboard is fully cured, use colorful chalk to personalize and decorate.