Make this basket weave heart wall plaque with a personalized message for mom with Extreme Sheen™
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- tracing paper
- wood heart
- 1 in foam brush
- #6 paint brush
- drawing pen
Lightly sand wooden heart before painting. Allow paint to dry fully before applying second coat. Allow paint to dry completely before using the drawing pen (I recommend Tombow Mono drawing pen) in final stage.
- Lightly sand wooden heart (Michaels) with 3m 120 Grit sandpaper (Home Depot)
- Using 1" foam paint brush, apply 2 coats of DecoArt Acrylic White paint on front and sides of heart. Let dry completely.
- Using pattern (printed on tracing paper), use a ruler to trace horizontal line across heart. (4.25" from bottom) (Flip the pattern over first and trace it with a pencil. The graphite will be used as a tracing medium when you trace the pattern right side up.)
- Basecoat below the line with DecoArt Extreme Sheen Aquamarine (and sides). Let dry. Apply 2nd coat.
- With #12 Flat Brush, thickly paint across the bottom of heart a basket pattern. First horizontally and then come back with shorter vertical strokes. Apply thickly.. this will give the basket texture. The beautiful sheen of this paint will be instantly apparent!
- Transfer the pattern once the paint has dried.
- Paint 2 to 3 coats of DecoArt Acrylic White Paint on the petals that overhang the basket. Let dry.
- Mix DecoArt Extreme Sheen Sterling Silver with DecoArt Extreme Sheen Sapphire (4:1 ratio approx). Using #6 round paintbrush, paint the two top flowers. Paint one petal at a time. Each petal is in the shape of a heart. Overlap petals. Apply thicker texture at edges of petals.
- Mix DecoArt Extreme Sheen Sterling Silver with DecoArt Aquamarine (4:1) Paint petals using same technique to three flowers in second row.
- Mix DecoArt Extreme Sheen Sterling Silver with DecoArt Berry (4:1 ratio) Using same painting technique, paint two flowers in third row.
- Paint DecoArt Extreme Sheen Sterling Silver on lower two flowers that overhang the basket.
- With tip of paint brush, dip into DecoArt Acrylic White and place dots in center of flowers. Let dry.
- Using a drawing pen,(I used Tombow Mono drawing pen #01), loosely outline flowers and draw in stems. Reference photo for guide to outlining flowers.
- Write the words "Happy Mother's Day" between the two Berry colored flowers. First in pencil, and then with a drawing pen. You can use whatever font you like. (I used the font: Bradley Hand Bold, size 18pt.)