Store holiday keepsakes in style in this stamped and painted wooden box.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- soft cloth
- old toothbrush
- masking tape
- cosmetic sponge
- plain white copy paper
- sheet music
- #10/0 liner brush
- wooden box with lid
- #12 round brush
- #16 angular brush
- Christmas stamps
- holiday stamps
- 200-grit sandpaper
- foam roller brush
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- With a foam roller brush, basecoat the box lid Snow White.
- Add a wash of True Ochre using a #12 round brush all over the lid. (Be careful not to darken it too much.)
- Add another wash of Milk Chocolate, creating spots of this color in some areas and on the border of the lid. (Avoid the space where the sheet music will be placed.)
- When all washes are completely dry, sand the lid with 200-grit sandpaper. Remove dust with a soft cloth. (Do not sand excessively to avoid losing all color.)
- Hold the plain sheet of paper to one side of the box. Wet a cosmetic sponge with Burnt Umber and sponge on the border of the paper, applying darker tones close to the paper and blending outwards. (Refer to photo.) Remove the paper.
- Tear the sheet music, irregularly, on one side. Adhere it to the box lid with Primer & Sealer, overlapping the edge of the paper onto the blended area you just painted and wrapping it around the side of the box lid.
- Randomly add designs with rubber stamps, using Burnt Umber, in the center of the box. (Refer to photo.)
- Using a larger holiday image stamp, like a poinsettia, stamp on the opposite side of the box and sheet music three times.
- Apply a wash of Traditional Raw Sienna, creating some spots.
- With #16 angular brush, float inside the petals of the poinsettia stamp on both sides using Santa Red. Let dry and then do shadows of the lower petals with Burgundy Wine.
- Float inside leaves with Antique Green.
- When dry, float Burnt Umber shadows below the petals.
- Do a Lamp Black shadow below the sheet music. Load Lamp Black on a #10/0 liner brush to outline the torn areas of the sheet music.
- With a #16 angular brush and Khaki Tan, highlight some breaks of the picture.
- Reinforce all the contours of the flowers with a liner brush loaded with Lamp Black.
- Paint the outside of the box bottom with Burnt Umber.
- Paint the inside of the box Santa Red.
- Apply dots of Khaki Tan to the inside of the box, splattering them with an old toothbrush.
- To finish, randomly stamp inside the box with rubber stamps of your choice, using Shimmering Silver.
- Seal the entire box with several coats of Americana Matte Spray Finish, allowing to dry between coats.