Create dazzling decor with the Crystal Geode Water Marbling Set.
- 0 Liner Brush (TB12-B)
- Crystal Geode Water Marbling Set (BD5WMCG)
- Magic Medium Water Prep (DWM100-36)
- Premium Marbling Paper (20pcs) (DAS277-K)
- Water Marbling Premium Cleaning Paper (32pcs) (DAS278-K)
- watercolor paper
- circle template
- water marbling tray
- tray for rinsing
Before you begin be sure to set up your water marbling station. You should have your supplies set up and easily accessible. Following directions on bottle, mix the Magic Medium Water Prep with the appropriate amount of water in the water marbling tray or separate container.
You should also have a tray of clean water to rinse your prints after they are dipped. (TIP: Lay out paper towels to place your fresh prints on to speed drying time.) Plan to create several unique prints at one time.
Some of the drops of paint will sink and you may begin to see drops of paint gathering on the bottom of the tray, this is normal and will not effect the surface where the print is pulled.
- This print was created with the Crystal Geode Water Marbling Set, which includes Blue, Lavender, Aquamarine, Violet and Pink. Extreme Sheen 24K Gold is also used for gold accents and the ring around Saturn.
- Prepare your size. Follow the easy instructions on the Magic Medium bottle to prepare the size (water) mixture. (TIP: Prepare mixture in a plastic tub with a lid and fill/refill the water marbling tray as needed. Cover unused size and store at room temperature to keep it fresh for up to five days) Now you are ready to add paint. Now you are ready to add paint. Start by filling the surface of the water with an even coat of Violet. Do this my dripping paint down the middle of the tray horizontally. Allow paint to disperse. Repeat four more times.
- Slowly add drops of Blue (horizontally and at a slight diagonal) to the surface. Once each drop disperses completely, add a drop of Violet to each circular shape or "Stone".
- Drip Violet drops of paint onto the surface at a diagonal.
- Slowly add drops of Aquamarine to the top and bottom groups of stones. Allow each drop of paint to disperse before adding another layer.
- Slowly add drops of Violet within all of the stones.
- Begin to swirl the tip of a Water Marbling Stick through the stone patterns.
- Continue swirling through the paint using the marbling stick in a circular motion to give the illusion of outer space and until you have achieved your desired look.
- When your tray is ready to transfer the design onto the paper, use a piece of DecoArt's Premium Water Marbling Paper to get maximum absorbency of the paint. (TIP: Keep paper very dry! If the surface is wet prior to dipping into the size, it won't absorb the paint, which will result in a white spot.) A good technique to minimize bubbles in your print is to hold your paper on opposing corners to allow the center of the paper to touch the surface first. Then, slowly lay your corners down onto the surface. Make sure the paper is in full contact with the surface. Allow the paper to float on the surface for a moment. This transfers your paint design onto the paper. The corners of the paper will begin to pull away from the surface. Lift the paper off the surface by opposing corners of the paper. Although you may notice some slight finger smudges in the corners of the paper, do not be concerned. They simply add to the overall effect.
- Place print face down in a clean tray of water to rinse off extra sizing. This step is optional, but rinsing off extra sizing allows for cleaner, more vibrant colors to shine through! Also, the paper will be less stiff and dry flatter. Lay paper, print side up on a paper towel to dry. This step will help absorb excess moisture and allow prints to dry faster. Use DecoArt's Water Marbling Premium Cleaning Paper and drag it across the surface until clean before starting the next layers of paint.
- To prepare the pool for a new project, simply use DecoArt's Water Marbling Premium Cleaning Paper and drag it across the surface until clean. (TIP: Remember, just the surface has to be clean to reuse. There may still be paint that has fallen to the bottom. This is called "sinking". This will not affect further prints!)
- To create the planets, start by filling the surface of the water with an even coat of Pink. Do this my dripping down the middle of the tray horizontally.
- Add drops of Lavender to create stones.
- Continue layering Pink and Lavender by dripping paint into the stones.
- Pull a marbling stick back and forth through the paint.
- Again, place paper on top of the size to transfer paint. Rinse in clean water and lay on paper towel to dry.
- Allow prints to dry completely. Lay paper, print side down and using an iron on high, iron to flatten. (TIP: Place a piece of watercolor paper between the paint and the table surface to protect the print. If you have steam, place a paper towel between the watercolor paper and the table.)
- Use scissors to cut the circles on various sizes to create planets.
- Arrange them on your "space" water marbled paper until you are happy with the placement.
- Use craft glue to adhere them into place. Use a 0 liner brush to paint a ring around Saturn in 24K Gold. Allow to dry. The print looks beautiful placed in a simple frame. It can add galactic vibes to any space!