Make these Christmas decorations with recycled cans and Americana® Acrylics.
- paper towels
- liner brush
- craft glue
- black permanent marker
- small round brush
- tracing & transfer paper
- pen or pencil
- wooden beads
- scrapbook paper
- medium flat brush
- baker's twine
- antique clothespins
The detailed instructions are given here for the teal nutcracker. To create the red nutcracker, follow the same instructions, swapping the colors featured in instruction #2.
- Gather the materials (for the teal nutcracker).
- For the red nutcracker, gather Americana Acrylics: Santa Red, Bubblegum Pink, Snow White, Jadeite Green, and Lamp Black as well as Silver Moon Galaxy Glitter.
- Wipe the container clean, both inside and out. Use a medium flat brush to paint the outside of the container with Snow White. Let dry. Transfer the provided pattern of your choice, using transfer paper and a pen or pencil.
- Use a medium flat brush to paint the crown and pants Bahama Blue and the jacket Peacock Teal. Use a medium flat brush to paint the face in Warm Beige. Let dry.
- Use a small round brush to paint the eyes in Snow White and Peacock Teal. Paint the eyebrows mustache in Espresso. Paint the cheeks and mouth in a mix of water and Bright Orange (to create a transparent effect). Let dry. Use a small round brush to paint the teeth and accent the eyes in Snow White.
- Use a small flat brush to paint the hair and beard in Espresso. Use a small flat brush to paint the crown and jacket accents in Antique Gold. Let dry. Once dry, use a small flat brush to apply Gold Shooting Star over the Antique Gold. Use a small flat brush to paint the belt Bright Orange.
- For the arms, use a small flat brush to paint two antique clothespins in Peacock Teal. Use a small flat brush to paint the bottom part of the clothespins (the "hands") in Warm Beige. Use a small flat brush to paint two wooden beads in Antique Gold. Let dry and use a small flat brush to apply Gold Shooting Star. OPTIONAL: Attach the tiny tassels using craft glue.
- Use craft glue to adhere the arms. (Refer to photo for placement.)
- Cut scrapbook paper to fit on the top inside part of the plastic lid. Use craft glue to adhere it to the lid. (Hint: If you sand the top part of the lid slightly, the paper will adhere better.) Cut out four triangle shapes from the same scrapbook paper (About 3/4"; the size, however, depends on the size of the container.)
- Use a black permanent marker to write "2020" on the triangles. Use craft glue to adhere the triangles to baker's twine. Let dry.
- Use a medium flat brush to paint the boots in Lamp Black. Let dry. Use a liner brush to paint the accents in Antique Gold and a grey mix of (3) parts Snow White and (1) part Lamp Black.
- Use glue to adhere the 2020 banner to the nutcracker's hands.