Sail into this dreamy shadow box accent with DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics.
- transfer paper
- flat brush
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- craft knife or scissors
- fan brush
- watercolor paper
- drill and small drill bit
- wooden shape
- shadow box
- E6000 Glue
- round brush
- liner brush
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Paint the inside of the house shadow box Prussian Blue. Water down white and use a fan brush to flick the paint onto the background to create stars.
- Transfer the wave patterns (adjusted to fit inside the shadow box) onto watercolor paper. Cut out the waves in a rectangle. (Do not cut out waves yet.) Mix together Payne's Grey and Phthalo Turquoise. Beginning at the bottom of the wave, apply the mix to create an ombre effect. Let dry and cut out the waves. Use a liner brush to paint in the curl of waves with the same mix.
- Transfer the whales onto watercolor paper. Begin each whale by applying clean water inside of each whale outline. Slightly water down Payne's Grey. With a round brush, apply Payne's Grey to the spine area of the whale and allow it to bleed. Add Phthalo Turquoise as desired. Let dry and repeat as desired.
- Drill a hole large enough for the sailboat mast to fit into the driftwood. Adhere the mast into the hole with E6000 Glue. Cover the entire piece in Matte Medium. Let dry. Once dry, apply Crackle Paste to the wood as desired. Set aside to crackle.
- Water down Payne's Grey and paint onto a piece of scrap fabric. Water down the same color (with less water for a more vibrant color). Use a fan brush to flick paint onto the fabric. Let dry. Once dry, cut out two triangles for the sails of the sailboat.
- Transfer the banner template onto watercolor paper. Use Payne's Grey and a liner brush to paint the text. Let dry. Once dry, cut out and fold the banner ends for dimension.
- Adhere the two tallest waves into the back of the box with hot glue or E6000 Glue. Adhere thin wire onto the back of the whales. Adhere onto the roof of the shadow box with hot glue. (If needed, adhere a small piece of paper painted Prussian Blue to help the wire adhere to the roof.)
- Paint a small wooden block Prussian Blue. (Choose one just large enough for the sailboat to rest on, but not be seen under the waves.) Adhere the block to the bottom of the sailboat.
- Adhere the banners, sailboat, and waves into place. If needed, paint the outside of the shadow box in white or other desired color. (This one was already white.)