Easy Boho Wall Art | Color Wheel
Posted by DecoArt on Jul 7th 2022
Learn how to paint this easy boho wall art and sun color wheel!
- paper towels
- baby wipes(optional)
- 12x12 Whitewashed Framed Wood Sign
- Washi Tape
- Palette Knives
- Paper Palette Pad
- Start by painting a circle near the center of your sign using a medium flat brush and Americana Acrylics in Buttermilk. Because of the organic, boho style of this project, don’t worry about getting your circle perfectly round or centered. Having imperfections only adds to the overall look and feel of this boho color wheel!
- Next, using thin Washi tape, mark off 12 wedge shaped sections around the center circle. These will be the 12 sections of your color wheel. Each section should have a similar size and spacing, but again, we are going for an imperfect, organic style. Start by taping off three sections (evenly spaced) around the circle (these will be the sections painted with the primary colors). Then, tape off three more sections between the first three.
- You should have 12 sections in total, each with a small white strip between them. Be sure to tape off a small section that will be left white between each section and your initial circle.
- Next, paint three sections with your Boho primary colors - Deep Burgundy, Deep Ochre, and Deep Midnight Blue-leave three black spaces between each of these painted sections. Also, as you paint each section, be sure to pull your brush over and away from the taped edge. (Never push your brush towards the taped edge. This will cause the paint to bleed under the tape.)
- After painting the three primary color sections, move on to the secondary and tertiary colors. (I found it was easier to mix these in sections.)
- Start with the green hues by mixing together yellow (Deep Ochre) and blue (Deep Midnight Blue). To create green, mix equal parts of yellow and blue. To create yellow green, mix two parts yellow to one part blue. For blue green, it is two parts blue and one part yellow. You can always add a bit more yellow or blue to your mix to adjust the color to your liking.
- When you have your green hues mixed, paint the three sections between the blue and yellow sections. The green hue will go in the center section, yellow green goes between green and yellow, and blue green goes between green and blue.
- After you have painted the green sections, repeat this process of mixing and painting for the violet hues and the orange hues.
- When all of the sections of your design have been painted, peel off your tape to reveal your finished design.
- Emphasize the boho vibes of this muted color wheel by leaving the imperfect edges or use white paint and a small flat brush to touch up any spots where paint has leaked under the taped edge.