Graduation Party Centerpieces
Posted by DecoArt on May 30th 2016
Customize a decorative table centerpiece to your school colors with Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics.
- transfer paper
- rubbing alcohol
- flat brush
- burlap ribbon
- Mason jars
- pen or pencil
- wooden skewer
- rubber bands
- construction paper
- E6000 Glue
- liner brush
- drinking straws
- large brush
- paper cutter
- crinkle fill paper
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Wash the Mason jars and clean with rubbing alcohol. With a large brush, paint two jars in Poppy; one in Yellow Gold (Metallic); one in Purple Sunset; and one in Green Beret. Let dry; then apply a second coat.
- Cut five pieces of burlap ribbon 11" long. (The width needs to be 1-3/4", so if the ribbon is 2" wide, fold in the wired edges on each side and adhere with E6000 Glue.) Add glue to the skewers and slide into straws, varying the heights.
- Paint several sheets of cardstock with Carbon. Use white transfer paper to trace and cut out jar labels from the provided patterns. Paint in the desired graduation colors. Glue the painted label to the center of the 4" burlap ribbon with E6000 Glue. Adhere the ribbon to the jar with a dot of glue on the front. Overlap the raw edge on the back and glue. Wrap with rubber bands until dry.
- Trace and cut out the name pendants on the black painted cardstock. Measure and cut burlap ribbon to 4" x 1-3/4". (Cut as many as you need for names.) Write a name in pencil on the black tag. Letter with paints and liner brush. Glue the name tag to the burlap piece. Spread glue to the short edge of the burlap name pendant and wrap around the top of the straw.
- Trace the cap pattern onto the black construction paper and cut out. Add a white line with Titanium White.
- Cut a piece of gold cord 1-1/2" long and glue it to the center of the cap. Cut two more pieces 1/4" long and glue to the end of the cord to make a tassel. Add a dot of Glorious Gold to the center of the cap to make a button.
- Use a paper cutter to cut white construction paper into 3" x 5" pieces. On the short end, roll the paper around a pencil to roll up. Remove the pencil; add a dot of glue to adhere; and tie with a piece of black yarn to make a bow.
- Adhere the diploma and the hats to the top of the straw picks with the E6000 Glue.
- Stuff the jars with assorted colored crinkle-fill paper. Push the decorated picks into the paper fill and adjust the heights.