Paint a poppy in honor of someone special for Memorial Day
- white transfer paper
- canvas board
- dotting tools
- multi well plastic paint palette
- The Bold Colors Acrylic Paint Set is perfect for this project. (Optional: varnish canvas with DuraClear Gloss Varnish when finished!)
- Gather all of your supplies. Choose which size of canvas you want to work on. Pick out which colors to use from the set. I chose to use: Titanium White, Lamp Black, Deep Burgundy, Primary Red, Marigold, Bright Yellow, Kelly Green, True Blue, Ultramarine Blue and Desert Turquoise. (TIP: Use a palette with small wells to hold your paint. The small wells work great for dotting!)
- Pick a variety of brushes/tools to vary your dot sizes.
- Paint the canvas with a basecoat of Lamp Black using an oval or filbert brush.
- If needed, print out the poppy pattern to trace onto canvas. (TIP: adjust print out to fit your canvas size.) (TIP: use white transfer paper or a light color pencil to draw your poppy design.)
- A palette with small wells for paint works perfectly for dotting art! Pour all of your paint colors into the wells. Mix an additional green by adding Titanium white and a bit of Bright Yellow to the Kelly Green. (.5:1:2) Also, mix a pink color with 2:1 mixture of Primary Red to White. Lastly, mix a light blue mixture using Ultramarine Blue and White 2:1.
- Begin dotting the background with the largest tool using True Blue.
- Add smaller dots with the Desert Turquoise.
- Continue to fill in with even smaller dots of the light blue mixture. Continue to add dots until the background is filled with color.
- Use the two green colors to dot onto the stem.
- Dot some medium sized Deep Burgundy onto the poppy's petals.
- Add some smaller Deep Burgundy dots to fill in the petal/petal shadows.
- Use a slightly larger dotting tool to apply Primary Red to the petals.
- Dot some of the pink mixture onto highlight areas of the petals.
- With a small dotting tool (wooden skewer or toothpicks work great), dot pink around the petal in the foreground.
- Also, dot along the edge of the inner petal to highlight.
- Dot inner part of the poppy using Jack-O-Lantern Orange.
- Fill in areas around the orange by dotting on Bright Yellow.
- Dot some orange onto the petals as needed to fill in space.
- Using white, define highlighted areas and the center of the flower.
- Allow to dry. (Optional: paint on a DuraClear Varnish to seal and protect.) This project is a beautiful way to create art mindfully and a time to remember and commemorate someone dear to you. The repetitive process of dot art is a very meditative movement and a calming activity.