A Country Christmas Santa Claus
Posted by DecoArt on Jul 13th 2015
Countrify your Christmas with a different kind of St. Nick this year.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- E6000 glue
- #5 round brush
- hand drill
- #4 flat brush
- tack cloth
- #2 flat brush
- wooden dowel rod
- script liner brush
- identi pen
- wooden ball
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- (Note: If using the woodkit, skip to step 3.) Use the pattern to cut out the Santa body from 3/4" wood and the tree, hat brim, star, sign, and shoes from 1/4" wood. Drill a 1/8" hole in the center bottom of the sign.
- Sand and seal the wooden pieces with Americana Matte Spray Finish; sand again and wipe with a tack cloth.
- Transfer the basic pattern lines to Santa with a pencil or stylus and the tracing and transfer papers.
- Glue the nose to the face and let dry.
- Basecoat the face Flesh Tone; shade around the face with Light Cinnamon. Dot the eyes Lamp Black.
- Basecoat the hat brim and the ball on the hat, Khaki Tan; above the brim, Forest Green. Add stripes with Wedgewood Blue, Alizarin Crimson, and Khaki Tan; shade with Light Cinnamon. Add lines with Lamp Black and paint the star with Antique Gold. Use Identi-pen to add stitching.
- The shirt is Alizarin Crimson. Use a stencil to apply Russet checks shaded with Lamp Black. With Buttermilk, add light crosshatching on the sides of his tummy.
- Paint the gloves, belt, and suspenders, Lamp Black; highlight with Buttermilk. The buckle is Khaki Tan, shaded with Light Cinnamon on the left side and highlighted with Buttermilk on the right side.
- Basecoat the pants, Deep Midnight Blue; shade the sides and down the center with Buttermilk. The shoes are Lamp Black with Buttermilk highlights.
- Basecoat the tree Avocado; stipple with Hauser Dark Green.
- Basecoat the sign, Buttermilk; the dowel, Light Cinnamon; and the band around the sign, Lamp Black. Shade inside the sign with Light Cinnamon. Add the lettering with a black Identi-pen.
- Stipple the hat brim and the ball on the end of the hat Buttermilk.
- Glue the brim to the hat and the star to the brim. (Refer to photo for placement.)
- Make a bundle of loopy yarn for the beard by wrapping the yarn around fingers a few times. Slide off and cut one end of loops. Tie a piece of yarn around the center into a knot to secure. Glue under the nose.
- Run a 3" piece of regular yarn through each button and knot. Glue buttons to the belt at the bottom of the suspenders.
- Glue on the shoes. Make bows from jute and glue to the top of the shoes.
- Glue the tree to the back of Santa.
- Spray the entire piece with Americana Matte Spray Finish.