Bird Nest Box Topper
Posted by DecoArt on Nov 11th 2014
Use any smooth, solid surface as the base for this springtime image.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- wooden box
- #2 round brush
- 1/2" flat brush
- #4 round brush
- 3/4" oval brush
- #10/0 liner brush
- grey transfer paper
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Base the surface with Snow White.
- Repeat the basecoat and, while wet, apply some touches of Slate Grey randomly, blending with a slip-slap motion using the 3/4″ oval wash brush.
- Measure and mark 1/2″ from all edges on the surface to create a border. Measure and mark another line 1/2″ inside the first, to create a second border. Basecoat the border areas with Sand.
- Using the 1/2″ flat brush, thin Terra Coral with water to a transparent color and apply checks on each marked border section, as indicated in the pattern.
- Add a thin line separating the two borders with Terra Coral. Add a wider line inside the inner border with the same color. Shade with Terra Coral. Highlight with Snow White.
- Trace and transfer the nest pattern onto the surface with tracing paper and grey transfer paper.
- Base in the bird nest with Dark Chocolate, applying two coats and letting each coat dry.
- Deepen the center and bottom outer area of the nest with Soft Black, repeating if needed to darken the color.
- Paint the nest with #2 and #4 round brushes, alternating with Dark Chocolate, Sand, Antique White, and Khaki Tan.
- Use Soft Black to shade on the bottom part of the nest and deepen the shading inside the nest.
- Add a few straw pieces with Turquoise Blue and Slate Grey.
- Trace and transfer the egg pattern onto the surface.
- Basecoat the eggs in Sea Glass.
- Add some speckling with Sea Breeze and Snow White.
- Shade the eggs with Turquoise Blue and then deepen with Turquoise Blue brush-mixed with a touch of Soft Black. Highlight with Snow White.
- Base the limbs with Khaki Tan. Shade with Dark Chocolate and then use a tiny bit of Soft Black at the base and to define the cut edges of the limbs’ tops.
- Streak some Dark Chocolate, Soft Black, Sand, and Slate Grey on the limbs, keeping it as a very fine line detail.
- Add some pieces of straw coming out and over some areas of the limbs.
- Base the leaves with Hauser Medium Green. Shade with a brush mix of Black Green and Soft Black. Highlight with Hauser Light Green.
- Paint the veins with Hauser Light Green going into Dark Chocolate as they connect to the limb.
- Base the flowers with Snow White. Shade the centers with Poodleskirt Pink and deepen with Terra Coral.
- Add a very thin float of Terra Coral on the tips of the petals.
- Dab in the centers with a 1:1 ratio of Hauser Medium Green and Black Green mix, then dab in Hauser Light Green and a few dots of Sand.
- Shade next to the centers on the petals with Hauser Medium Green.
- Intensify any highlighted areas on the flower petals with Snow White.
- Thin Terra Coral to an inky consistency and use a #10/0 liner brush to add a few detail lines pulled up into the petals from the centers.
- Paint the stems and calyx the same colors as the leaves.
- Seal the surface with two coats of DuraClear Matte Varnish.