"Bloom" Canvas Art
Posted by DecoArt on Mar 13th 2016
Create a "blooming" springtime canvas with Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- transfer paper
- #3 round brush
- 1" flat brush
- 1/4" flat brush
- #1 liner brush
- stencil brush
- fan brush
Allow paint to dry completely between coats; keeps paint from lifting.
To paint swirls: Thin paint to ink consistency and practice making them on paper first.
- Basecoat the entire canvas with Lemon Zest using a 1" flat brush. Let dry. Once dry, transfer the pattern for the vase and flower with transfer paper and a pencil. Paint the entire flower, stem, and vase with Cotton Ball using a 1/4" flat and #3 round brushes.
- Paint the center of the flower Orange (Neon). Using the handle end of the paintbrush, make dots in Poppy throughout the flower petals.
- Paint the stem and petals with Apple Green. (Be sure to paint them inside the vase using a lighter coat of paint on the reflection (right) side). (Refer to photo.)
- Add more dots to the petals using Pink (Neon) and the handle end of the brush.
- Add a swirl to the center of the flower, using a #3 round brush and Cotton Ball. Using the handle end of the paintbrush, add Cotton Ball dots to the center of a few of the Poppy dots.
- Paint the vase with Pink Cadillac. (Refer to photo.) Allow to dry thoroughly, then add the reflection in Cotton Ball (the little streak) onto the front of the vase.
- Brush rough strokes of Pink Cadillac, Pink (Neon), and Cotton Ball around the entire border using a fan brush. (To avoid any thicker spots, touch the tip of the brush into the paint and then dab the brush onto a paper towel before touching to the canvas. Always drag the brush from the outside inward.)
- Continue to build up a border around the canvas, as well as pulling lines inside near and around the design. (Be sure to keep all lines going only horizontally and vertically to maintain the look.)
- Position the butterfly stencil from the DecoArt Personally Yours Urban Ink Spirited stencil pack to the right of the flower. Using a #3 round brush and a small stencil brush, stencil the body in Cotton Ball and the wings in Pink Cadillac, Pink (Neon), and Orange (Neon). (Refer to photo.)
- Fill in the rest of the butterfly with a #3 round brush with Cotton Ball, Pink (Neon), and Poppy. (Refer to photo for color placement.) Use the very tip of the brush handle to add a dot of Cotton Ball for the eye.
- Place the DecoArt Personally Yours Initial Impressions Quirky Stencil sheet on the canvas, and stencil out the word "Bloom" across it in Poppy with a stencil brush. (For added whimsy, this does not have to be done in a straight line.)
- Using the handle end of a paintbrush, randomly place dots of Cotton Ball inside of the stenciled letters. Allow to dry. Using the #3 round brush and Sky Blue, free-hand swirls to the entire background of the canvas. Outline the vase in Sky Blue, using a #1 liner brush. (Refer to photo.)
- Once again, randomly use a fan brush to add Poppy to the border of the canvas. Drag additional lines into the design area, as desired. Outline the flower in Poppy using a #1 liner brush. Outline the greenery with Green (Neon).