Blue and White Floral Plaque
Posted by DecoArt on Sep 15th 2014
This blue and white design will bring cheerful, season-spanning color to your décor.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- painter's tape
- tack rag
- 220-grit sandpaper
- metal framed plaque with hook and insert
- triangular cosmetic sponges
- 1" oval wash brush
- 2-stroke round brush
- #10/0 liner brush
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- INSERT: Lightly sand the corners of the insert to round off slightly. Wipe with a paper towel to remove dust.
- Using the 1" oval wash brush, apply a coat of Americana Primer & Sealer to both sides and edges of the insert
- Paint the insert Cool White using the 1" oval brush. Lightly sand and wipe with a paper towel to remove any excess dust.
- Measure and tape off a 1/4” border around the outside edge of the insert.
- Using a cosmetic sponge, paint the border and edge of the insert Blue Harbor.
- Remove the tape and trace the design onto the insert.
- Using the #10/0 liner brush and Admiral Blue, outline the border and add small lines to it.
- Using the 2-stroke round brush, paint the arches Blue Harbor.
- With the #10/0 liner brush and Admiral Blue, outline the arches and add crosshatching lines.
- Paint light leaves and light flower petals with 1:1 mix of Baby Blue and Cool White and the #10/0 liner brush. (Refer to photo.) Save the mix for a later step.
- Outline the leaves and petals and add detail lines on petals using the #10/0 liner brush and Admiral Blue.
- Paint the center of the light-colored flowers Blue Harbor with the #10/0 liner brush.
- Using the handle end of a brush and Cool White, place a dot in the center of the area you just painted.
- Outline the center of the flowers with the #10/0 liner brush and Admiral Blue.
- The dark leaves and large flowers are painted Blue Harbor using the 2-stroke round brush.
- Outline the leaves and petals and add vein lines and creases on the petals using the #10/0 liner brush and Admiral Blue.
- Dot the centers of large flowers with the Baby Blue/Cool White mix from step 10 and the handle end of a brush.
- The white flowers are outlined with Admiral Blue using the #10/0 liner brush. Dot the center of flowers with Blue Harbor. Using the #10/0 liner brush and Baby Blue, outline the center of the flowers and add detail lines to the petals.
- Using the 2-stroke round brush and Blue Harbor, add comma strokes beside the curlicues.
- Paint the curlicues and stems with the #10/0 liner brush and Admiral Blue.
- Using the 2-stroke round brush and Admiral Blue, paint the oval.
- Allow to dry thoroughly.
- FRAME: Lightly sand the metal areas of the frame to roughen up the surface slightly. Wipe with a damp paper towel to remove any dust.
- Using painter’s tape, completely tape off the white ball on the hook.
- Dip a cosmetic sponge into Paint Adhesion Medium and apply to the frame, making sure to get it inside all the curls of metal.
- Allow to dry thoroughly or overnight.
- Using a clean cosmetic sponge and Cool White, paint all of the metal areas of the frame, making sure to get it in all curls and tight spots. Allow to dry. Apply a second coat if needed.
- Seal both pieces with DuraClear Satin Varnish.
- Attach the insert with either glue or the hardware included.