Bold Scandinavian Advent Calendar
Posted by DecoArt on Oct 29th 2014
In bold red and white, this simple Advent calendar makes for an eye-catching addition to holiday décor.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- wood glue
- #0 liner brush
- #6 flat shader brush
- medium-grit sandpaper
- 1" flat shader brush
- ballpoint pen
- two 1" wooden blocks
- 3-1/8" x 1-1/2" x 2-1/8" rectangles of balsa wood
- wood filler
- wooden box with lid
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Sand any rough areas on the box and blocks smooth with medium-grit sandpaper and wipe away dust with a damp paper towel.
- Using a pencil, measure and mark a 1-1/2" x 2-1/8" rectangle on the balsa wood, with the long side on one edge of the balsa wood piece. Cut out with scissors and repeat two more times.
- Using wood glue, adhere the three balsa wood rectangles stacked together on the bottom of the box with the smooth sides (sides not cut by scissors) facing out and even with the outside edges of the box. Allow to dry.
- Fill in any gaps with wood filler, if necessary; allow to dry and sand smooth. Remove any dust with a damp paper towel.
- Using wood glue, adhere one edge of the box top to the back edge of one side of the box bottom. (Face the lip of the box top toward the back.) Allow to dry to ensure that the lid is securely glued to the box.
- Using a #6 flat shader brush, basecoat the top lid and blocks Snow White. Repeat with as many coats as needed to cover completely.
- Using a #6 flat shader brush, basecoat the bottom box Santa Red. Repeat with as many coats as needed to cover completely.
- Copy the pattern for the top lid onto tracing paper. Center the tracing paper on the lid, and, using ballpoint pen, trace over pattern onto lid with graphite transfer paper underneath.
- Using a #0 liner brush, line over the snowflakes and lines with Santa Red.
- Using a #1 flat shader brush, basecoat the tree Santa Red. Repeat with as many coats as needed to cover completely.
- Transfer the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the sides of one block in same way as described in step 8.
- Transfer the numbers 0, 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 on the sides of the other block in the same way as described in step 8. (6 will be used upside-down for 9.)
- Using a #0 liner brush, line in all numbers on the blocks with Santa Red.
- Apply a coat of DuraClear Matte Varnish over the box and blocks.