Paint a crate to add a bit of whimsy to your pool towel storage area with Chalky Finish.
- water container
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- transfer paper
- 1-1/2" flat brush
- 2" flat brush
- 1/2" flat brush
- cosmetic sponge
- sticky notes
- 1/4" shader brush
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Prepare crate by sanding to remove any stray or lumpy pieces of wood. Use a damp paper towel to remove any dust.
- Paint crate using a 2" flat brush in Escape. Let paint dry completely and add another coat.
- Be sure to use a 1-1/2" brush to get all the corners of the surface.
- Use transfer paper to transfer template to crate. If preferred, free hand flower design on surface. Use a 1/2" flat brush to paint on flowers in Smitten. These are splotchy flowers, so it doesn't have to be complete coverage.
- Mix a drop of Romance with Smitten to create a rose colored paint. Use this to create a bit of a shaded tint on the flower petals.
- Use 1/4" shader brush in Carbon to add flower center, petal outlines, and stems.
- Use 1/4" shader brush to add white highlights to flower petals in Everlasting. Use the end of the brush to add dots of paint in the center of the flowers. See photo for placement reference.
- Add stenciled flourishes on the side of the crate using the Brocade Motif stencil. Use sticky notes to mask off the stencil to avoid getting paint in unwanted areas. Use a cosmetic sponge to apply Carbon to stencil. Be sure to dab off excess paint to prevent bleeding under the stencil.
- Lightly freehand wording of choice on crate with a pencil. Use the edge of the 1/4" shader to paint lettering in Carbon.
- Finish crate with a thin coat of Ultra Matte Varnish.