Stencil a charming bookcase with colorful chalky finish paints, bold patterns mixed with elegant stenciling.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- painter's tape
- 2" flat brush
- assorted buttons
- stencil brush
- drop cloth
- embroidery thread
- E6000 Glue
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Lightly sand any rough edges of bookcase. Thoroughly clean with damp paper towel to remove dirt and dust.
- Paint entire bookcase with two coats in Vintage using 2" flat brush.
- Attach painter's tape to the inside back of the entire bookcase, to prevent paint from going beyond the edges on each shelf for the next steps.
- Dry brush Heritage onto the inside back of the bookcase in an up-and-down motion. Avoid painting all the way to the top and bottom edges of each shelf. Make sure to not cover all of the Vintage color.
- Paint back over the Heritage sections with a light dry brush of Vintage. This will blend the two colors together until you get the desired look.
- Using the Classic Jacobean Floral stencil, paint the full design onto the left half of the inside back of each shelf in the bookcase in Legacy. Use a stencil brush or cosmetic sponge. Repeat same stencil on right half of bookcase.
- Repeat stenciling throughout backings of entire bookcase.
- Dry brush the front-facing sides of the bookcase in New Life, making sure to keep some of the Vintage color showing through. Repeat on the front-facing top of the bookcase, as well as the sides of the bookcase. Do not include the decorative cross beams going down the middle of each side. Keep them in the Vintage color for now.
- Using a ruler and pencil, mark out 1-1/2" rectangle sections on the front-facing edge of each shelf.
- Paint every other rectangle in Whisper, don't worry about clean lines yet. Once dried, tape off unpainted sections and paint in Carbon. Repeat for the top and edges of the bookcase, as well as for the inside top part of the uppermost shelf.
- Apply painter's tape to define the edges of the vertical wood beam on the decorative side of each shelf. Paint in Innocence. Remove painter's tape.
- Tape off a square above the pink section. Paint in Heritage. Remove tape.
- Using sections of stencil, add a flower over each orange square in Legacy. Also apply parts of stencil on top part of shelf on both sides.
- Paint decorative trim on top of bookcase in Legacy and Innocence. Free-hand a spot of Legacy over the holes down the front of the bookcase.
- Using E6000, adhere decorative buttons over each Legacy spot on front of bookcase. Optional: tie decorative thread through each button prior to attaching the bookcase. Apply smaller buttons at the top and larger at the bottom.
- See full length photo as reference.