Use Americana Decor® Outdoor Living™ paint to create an oversized holiday sign.
- stylus or pencil
- transfer paper
- painter's tape
- 2" flat brush
- #1 and #2 round brushes
- holiday greenery
- E6000 Glue
- mini screwdriver (to remove hardware)
- 1" angled brush
- slatted fir wooden door with metal hardware
- wooden panel with twine accent
- slatted wooden deer head
- burlap bow
Allow the paint to dry fully before continuing to the next step.
- Sand any rough edges on the slatted wooden door. Use a screwdriver to remove the metal door handle and hinges. Set the hardware and screws aside for now. (These will need to be re-installed after the painting of the door is completed.) Paint the entire wooden door with Picket Fence. Apply a second coat, if needed. Let dry.
- Re-install the metal hardware. Apply six vertical strips of blue painter's tape to the front of the door to create an outline for (2) 1" stripes and (2) 1/2" stripes. (These stripes will be painted with Fire Pit to resemble vintage grain sack stripes.) Be sure that the tape is pressed down and sealed along all edges.
- Paint the stripes with Fire Pit. Apply a second coat, if needed. Let dry completely. Remove the painter's tape.
- Remove and discard the hanging hardware located on the back of the wooden panel with twine accent. Lay the transfer paper, shiny side down, against the front of the wooden panel. Center and lay the printed pattern on top of the transfer paper. Tape the edges of the paper to hold it in place. Use a pencil to trace the image. Apply gentle pressure as you trace to ensure that the image is transferred successfully.
- Use a small paintbrush to fill in the transferred pattern. Paint the letters with Picket Fence and the surrounding area with Fire Pit. Let dry.
- Remove and discard the hanging hardware from the back of the slatted wooden deer head. Paint the deer head with Rock Garden. Let dry. Lightly distress the edges for a rustic look.
- Lay the wooden door flat. Center and glue the slatted wooden deer head and Reindeer Stable panel sign to the front of the wooden door using E6000 Glue. Let dry and cure according to adhesive instructions. Once completely dry, stand the door up for display. Add a burlap bow and natural greenery to finish the rustic look.