Christmas Wishes Diorama Book
Posted by DecoArt on May 31st 2015
The diorama design of this decoration adds dimension and even a cinnamon stick for scent.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- transfer paper
- 1" flat brush
- #4 round brush
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- black fine point marker
- #1 liner brush
- craft knife
- #6 shader brush
- palette knife
- cosmetic sponges
- cinnamon stick
- wooden shape
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Using a ruler and pencil, mark out the rectangle on the book. (See photo for a measurement guide.)
- Using a craft knife, cut out the rectangle. To get a straight edge, hold the ruler firmly next to the blade while cutting. Use sandpaper to smooth cut the edge.
- Paint the spine of the book in Gold (Metallic). Create a mix of Titanium White with small amounts of Burnt Umber and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide. Paint the front and back with the mix. (Remember to get inside the lip of the cover as well.) Save mix for future step.
- Create a mix of Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide with small amounts of Burnt Umber and Titanium White. Using a cosmetic sponge, apply to the cover and spine randomly to create an aged look. Use a paper towel to remove excess if too much paint is applied. Save mix for future step.
- Using a new cosmetic sponge, apply Titan Buff to the front cover.
- Use sandpaper to distress the cover and spine.
- Using the same two mixes from the book cover (see steps 3 and 4), paint the inside of the book, allowing the brush-strokes and color variations to show.
- Create a wash of Prussian Blue Hue and apply to the back inside of the book. Let dry. Loosely write random seasonal wording in black marker once the wash has dried.
- Apply another loose coat of colors from the cover washes, allowing some color to show through. Use sandpaper to distress and allow more working and color to show through.
- Create a mix of equal parts of Burnt Umber, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, and Titanium White. Apply mix to "pages" of the book. Use a small round brush to add page lines in Burn Umber.
- Transfer the cover pattern to the book using transfer paper. (Refer to photo.) Using a #1 liner brush, apply Gold (Metallic) to the swirls.
- Using a palette knife, mix Snow-Tex and a small amount of Burnt Umber. Apply the mix randomly to the surface. Sprinkle glitter of your choice where the Snow-Tex was applied. Gently use the palette knife to be sure the glitter adheres to the Snow-Tex. Save mix for future step.
- Repeat the previous step on the inside of the book.
- Use the transfer paper to apply the lettering pattern to the cover and spine. (Refer to photo.) Use a liner brush to apply Silver (Metallic) to the lettering.
- Cut the small garland into strips for the desired size of the tree. Twist the garland pieces around a cinnamon stick, allowing each end to stick out to form branches. Use hot glue to adhere to the cinnamon stick. (Be sure the branches are in different directions to create dimension.)
- Apply the Snow-Tex/Burnt Umber mix from step 12 to the branches of the tree with a palette knife. Sprinkle glitter over the mix, and use palette knife to gently press into the branches. Paint the wooden shape Gold (Metallic). Put a good amount of hot glue in the bottom of the painted shape, insert the cinnamon stick, and hold into place while the glue is setting. Adhere the tree to inside of the book as desired.
- Cut out the lettering banners. Fold the edges of each banner in to create dimension. Use hot glue to adhere them to the tree. (Refer to photo for placement.)