Colorful Wooden Penguin Wreath
Posted by DecoArt on Nov 11th 2015
Add color to a front door with a playful penguin wreath using Americana® Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- transfer paper
- 3/4" flat brush
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- #6 shader brush
- assorted ribbon
- palette knife
- embellishments of choice
- E6000 Glue
- wooden balls
- wire cutters
- wooden shapes
- mini pompons
- chenille stems
- floral picks
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Basecoat all the wooden balls with White Gesso. Basecoat the hearts on both sides and the edges with White Gesso using a 3/4" flat brush.
- Using the provided pattern, transfer the circle shape onto the front of the balls with the transfer paper and a pencil. Paint the first two balls in Electric Pink, leaving the circle area white. Paint two balls in Bahama Blue, one in Vivid Violet, and one in Citron Green.
- Using the pattern, transfer the wings to the side of the body with transfer paper. Using a #6 shader brush, paint the wings and one wooden heart in Dragon Fruit. Let dry. Once dry, dry-brush Snow White onto the wing area. Highlight the top edges of the painted heart with Electric Pink. Let dry and highlight with Snow White.
- Repeat previous step for each ball. For the Bahama Blue penguins, paint one wooden heart in Bahama Blue and highlight using Peacock Teal. For the Citron Green penguin, paint the wings and feet in Sour Apple. For the Vivid Violet penguin, paint the heart and wings in Purple Rain.
- Trace the provided beak pattern on each penguin. Paint the bottom half of the beak in Marigold. Paint the upper beak in Lemon Yellow, highlighting in Snow White while the paint is still wet. Dip the handle end of the brush in Snow White and dot to make the eyes. Let dry. Once dry, repeat with Lamp Black for the pupil and let dry. Add a tiny dot of Snow White to the pupil as a highlight. Using E6000 Glue, adhere the bodies to the corresponding painted feet.
- Spray each penguin with Americana Matte Spray Finish.
- Decorate the penguins using hot glue. Use mini pompons and chenille stems to make earmuffs. Add additional embellishments as desired.
- Use a palette knife to apply Snow-Tex on desired embellishments. While the Snow-Tex is still wet, sprinkle on Crystal Glamour Dust Sprinkle-On Glitter.
- Wrap the wreath with the ribbon, adhering both ends with hot glue. Make a ribbon bow, using a chenille stem to fasten together. Glue floral pick pieces to the back of the bow. Adhere the bow to the wreath with a chenille stem. Add a looped hanger to the back of the wreath with a chenille stem. Hot glue the penguins onto the wreath, tucking the short floral picks under the penguins with the hot glue.