Make your own mystical wizard hat for a costume or decoration with DecoArt® Matte Metallics™.
- paper towels
- hot glue gun
- fan brush
- medium flat brush
- Cut the cardboard into a rounded triangle. (See provided pattern for reference; it doesn't have to be precise). Flatten the cardboard with something round to make the sheet more flexible. (I used a jar of paint.)
- Roll the cardboard triangle tightly to loosen the cardboard even more.
- Bend and break or cut a 6" section and a 3" section from the wire or coat hanger.
- Hot glue the 6" long wire to one side of the cone shape. (This will aid in being able to form a droopy shape.)
- Form the cone and hot glue together.
- Cut strips around the edge of the cone shape. (See photo.)
- Bend the strips.
- Measure the inner circle of the cone onto the other sheet of cardboard and cut out the inner circle. Cut the outer edge of the hat rim. (It doesn't have to be perfectly round.)
- Flatten the cardboard of the hat brim by rolling.
- Stick the cone through the inner circle and glue the strips to the underside of the rim.
- Cut out a smaller cone shape to be the tip of the hat. Flatten and glue the edges together to form the cone.
- Glue the 3" piece of wire inside the cone and bend and squeeze until you get the desired look. Glue tip to the top of hat.
- Crumble up newsprint or newspaper. Uncrumble and lay aside.
- Using a medium flat brush, paint on Matte Decou-Page to the top section of the hat.
- Tear a piece of the newsprint and paint on Decou-Page.
- Place onto the wet surface over the cone shape; paint over the paper with Decou-Page to smooth out and attach paper to hat.
- Continue this process to cover the entire surface of the hat. Let dry completely.
- Using a medium flat brush, paint the hat with Moody Blue. Allow to dry.
- Add a second coat, if needed, to have even coverage. Let dry.
- Paint on a layer of Zinc, leaving some Moody Blue showing through. Allow to dry.
- Paint on Graphite into creases and folds.
- While the paint is still wet, wipe it back with a paper towel to make a weathered look.
- Mix Moody Blue with Light Buttermilk 3:1. Dry-brush the mix over any creases or folds using a fan brush.
- Be sure to highlight any raised areas.
- Paint some sheets of paper with Gold. Allow to dry.
- Cut out "wizard symbols" using the provided patterns. (Or make up your own.)
- Decide where you want the pieces to go and use Matte Decou-Page to adhere them onto the hat. Allow to dry.
- Paint Blue Enchanted onto the wizard hat to give it a magical iridescence.
- To add some sparkly accents, paint on Clear Comet Ice with a fan brush. Allow to dry.
- Pair the hat with other magical creations to create a customized decoration.
- A great mixed media project!