Craft Ideas for Kids | Paper Bugs
Posted by DecoArt on Jun 23rd 2021
Use Americana Acrylics® for an upcycled bug project for kids and adults.
- X-Acto® knife
- medium flat brush
- large sized paper clips
- hot glue and hot glue gun
- 1" flat brush
The colors listed are suggestions. Be sure to add your favorite colors to make the project even more your own.
Turn this project into a learning activity by picking specific insects and learning all about them.
Take inspiration from the colorful insects in nature and create your own unique bug.
For smaller, paper bugs: print bug patterns on a stiff paintable paper or trace the pattern onto watercolor paper. Paint, cut out, and glue together.
- To get color inspiration, look at these beautiful insects or research your own.
- For this DIY craft project on cardboard, collect used boxes or find some cardboard sheets. Plan accordingly for the size you want to make the bugs. Use the provided templates as guides or make up your own bug shapes. Draw onto the cardboard.
- Cut out the shapes with an X-Acto knife. (TIP: Do this step for younger children or use a thinner cardboard they can cut with scissors.) (TIP: Save extra cardboard shapes to use for additions or unique bugs.)
- Lay out the bug shapes after cutting and before painting to see if you want to add any cut-out shapes. (TIP: This step helps to visualize the bugs before painting.)
- (Choose a variety of colorful Americana Acrylic paints. Use the list provided or choose your favorite colors.) Paint the body of the dragonfly with Teal Mint and Mermaid Tail using a flat brush. Paint the tail in sections using multiple colors: Teal Mint, Lavender, Mermaid Tail, Vivid Violet, Cherry Red, and Gentle Heather. Allow to dry.
- Paint the wings with Bubblegum Pink, Cherry Red, Vivid Violet, Lavender, and Teal Mint. Paint the antennae and front legs with Chartreuse Yellow. Allow to dry.
- Using a hot glue gun, glue all the parts together. To attach a hanger, glue a paper clip onto the back. Allow glue to cool.
- Hang on any wall to instantly add character and color.
- Make a cute beetle using the provided pattern as inspiration.
- Another option is a moth. (TIP: Look at colorful inspiration photos for ideas.)
- Add even more upcycled art to a wall with a large bug with striped legs.
- This project is a great learning activity with different kinds of beautiful insects and a creative way to express creativity, colors, textures, and imagination. Not to mention, it makes a great trendy wall display.
DOWNLOADSBeetle 1 Template 1
Beetle 1 Template 2
Beetle 2 Template 1
Beetle 2 Template 2
Moth Template 1
Moth Template 2
Moth Template 3
Moth Template 4
Moth Template 5