Cupcake Mixed Media Canvas
Posted by DecoArt on May 22nd 2014
Here’s a colorful, dimensional wall accent that’ll satisfy any sweet tooth and brighten any kitchen..
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- liner brush
- small spray bottle of water
- #12 flat brush
- palette knife
- shader paintbrushes, assorted sizes
- random marking tools (texture comb, old credit card, finger, anything with tip, brayer, etc.)
- 6" x 6" gallery wrapped canvas
- assorted stencils
- permanent black marker pen (medium tip)
- computer and printer
- Using a #12 flat brush, apply random layers of paint on front and sides of canvas trying not to blend each color with others: use Light Violet, Red Violet, Sapphire Blue, and Titanium White.
- While still wet, spray a little water over the canvas surface. After a few seconds, blot with a paper towel. (This will lift some color for a mottled effect.) Let dry.
- Using stencils of your choice, stencil over parts of canvas with a #12 flat brush, in paint color of your choice for the second layer. Let dry.
- Outline the cupcake template with a pencil onto canvas. (Refer to photo for placement.)
- Mix two parts Titanium White with two parts Cobalt Blue Hue. Using a #12 flat brush, paint two coats of the mixture onto the cupcake, keeping one side darker for shading.
- Draw in lines on the cupcake paper with a pencil. (Refer to pattern for placement.) Paint them with a liner brush and watery mixture of Cobalt Blue Hue. Let dry. When dry, add Titanium White along sides of lines for dimension.
- Add some more shading using a small, dry shader brush with Cobalt Blue Hue and Carbon Black. (Refer to photo.) Let dry.
- Outline the entire cupcake with a black marker.
- Using a #12 flat brush, paint hearts on the cupcake with Shimmering Silver; add small dots of Red Violet. Let dry and outline with a black marker. (Refer to photo for placement.)
- Using Dimensional Effects, apply frosting to the cupcake with a palette knife, much like frosting a real cake. Let dry four to 12 hours.
- When dry, using #12 flat brush, paint the frosting Titanium White and highlight it with spots of Light Violet.
- If desired, make border around cupcake with a stencil or free hand. Using a #12 flat brush, paint random hanging hearts on the canvas with Shimmering Silver, similar to hearts on the cupcake.
- Add the computer-generated words “Cuppy Love” to the canvas, adhering them with Americana Matte Decou-Page. Apply Decou-Page on top of the words. Let dry.
- When dry, outline the words with a black marker.
- Using a #12 flat brush, apply two coats of DuraClear Satin Varnish.