DIY Dresser Makeover
Posted by DecoArt on Apr 29th 2021
The perfect weekend DIY! Refurbish a tired dresser or bedside table with Americana Decor® Chalky Finish™.
- painter's tape
- - fine tip paintbrush for touch ups (optional)
- clean lint free rags
- 1/2" foam pouncer
- wax brush
- 1/2" flat paintbrush
- 2" paintbrush
Remove hardware from the drawers and place screws aside for safe keeping. Allow paint to dry fully before applying a second coat of paint or changing colors. Wash and dry used stencil with warm water between each use.
- Prepare dresser for paint by wiping the surfaces to remove dust and any built up grease.
- Remove the hardware and on a protected surface, paint the hardware in Champagne Gold and set aside to dry. Use a fine tip paint brush if needed for ornate shaped hardware.
- Remove drawers from the dresser and begin painting the base of the dresser in Chalky Finish Refreshing using a flat 2" paintbrush.
- Keep the brush strokes long and even as you apply the first coat of paint. Let the paint dry fully before applying a second coat of paint.
- Next, apply paint to each of the drawer fronts.
- Apply a second coat of paint for additional coverage, watering down the paint a little to keep strokes smooth.
- Using painter's tape, run a long piece of tape along the full length of the drawer above and below the grooves, keeping a 1/4" spacing between the tape.
- With a 1/2" paint brush, apply Champagne Gold Metallic paint to the space between the painter's tape.
- Peel off the painter's tape exposing just the gold paint along the grooves.
- Touch up any areas that are not smooth or are uneven with a fine tip paintbrush if desired.
- Position Old French Script stencil to the left side of the drawer front and secure with painter's tape.
- Using a pouncer, dip it in to the Metallic Champagne Gold paint and gently dab over top of the stencil to transfer the pattern.
- Carefully remove the stencil and position the bottom half of the stencil on top of the right side of the drawer front. Apply the pattern in Champagne Gold in the same manner.
- Remove stencil and let paint dry. Apply stencil pattern to the other drawer front if desired.
- Apply a coat of clear wax to all painted surfaces to protect and seal the Chalky Finish paint and brush off the excess clear wax with a clean rag. Leave it to dry fully.
- Screw the hardware back on to the drawer fronts and place the drawers back into the dresser.
- Style and enjoy.