Earth Day Mixed Media Embroidery Hoop
Posted by DecoArt on Mar 17th 2016
Honor the Earth with a mixed media creation using DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics.
- transfer paper
- flat brush
- painter's tape
- liner brush
- baby wipes
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- round brush
- matching ribbon
- permanent marker
- wooden embroidery hoops
- scrapbook paper
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Cut a piece of fabric slightly larger than the embroidery hoops. Insert fabric into the hoop and tighten, removing any wrinkles from the fabric while tightening.
- Once you have the fabric tightened, trim any excess. (Leave around a 1"-2" edge.) Adhere the remaining edge to the inside of the hoop with hot glue.
- Apply Matte Medium to the entire front of the fabric with a flat brush.
- Use transfer paper to transfer the provided earth pattern. Using various hues of green, paint in the land with a round brush. Using white mixed with various hues of blue, fill in the water. Add clouds in white. For added texture, use stencil of choice in a darker blue with cosmetic sponge randomly.
- Create a vignette around the embroidery hoop with white toward the center and darker blue toward the outside with a flat brush.
- With a cosmetic sponge, add stencils in white and darker blue onto the sky for added texture.
- Transfer the tree from the pattern onto the fabric. Paint in the tree with several shades of brown mixed with white using a round brush. Cut out loose circles from patterned scrapbook paper to create the tree leaf shapes. Use a baby wipe and a coordinating paint color to create a vignette around each circle. Use Matte Medium to adhere the paper onto the canvas.
- Use yellows, magenta, blue, greens, white, and purples to create desired flowers using a round and liner brush. Transfer or refer to the pattern provided.
- Using a permanent marker, add small outlines and details to all the foliage. Add whimsical squiggles, swirls, dots, and lines as desired.
- Adhere small buttons to the centers of several flowers with hot glue.
- Transfer the birds from the pattern. Using magenta, white, yellow, black, and orange, paint in each bird with a round brush. Add white dots to each bird's body. Paint in the sun using a desired mix of yellow and white. Tape off the sunrays and lightly dry-brush in with the yellow/white mix using a flat brush.
- Paint the outside of the hoop in a medium blue using a round and flat brush.
- Adhere ribbon of choice onto the outside of the embroidery hoop with hot glue.