Elegant Fall Mantle with Metallic and Glitter
Posted by DecoArt on Sep 17th 2019
Metallic and glitter are the perfect subtle touches for a mantle decked out in Americana Decor® Matte Metallics.
- painter's tape
- 1" pouncer
- small wooden birdhouse
- wooden cut-out
- clean rag
- all-purpose glue
- fine tip paintbrush
- craft pumpkin
- #10 flat paintbrush
- 2" paintbrush
- 20" square canvas
Protect the work surface with a sheet of newspaper or parchment paper.
Allow paint to fully dry between steps and when changing to a new color.
Repeat with as many coats as needed to achieve desired coverage.
- Paint the surface of the canvas in Buttermilk.
- Paint the canvas edges in Midnite Blue. Wipe away the excess paint with a clean rag.
- Place the Basketweave stencil on top of the canvas and tape the edges in place to hold.
- Using the stencil pouncer, gently apply Gold Matte Metallics over the stencil to create the basketweave pattern.
- Carefully lift stencil and let the paint dry before continuing.
- Re-position the stencil on the canvas to continue the pattern on the remaining areas of the canvas. To make certain areas of the basketweave pattern darker, repeat with a second coat of paint. Once the canvas is complete and dry paint the "Home" cut-out in Gold Matte Metallics, let dry, and adhere it to the center of the canvas.
- Using a fine tip paintbrush, paint a thin straight line approximately 4” long in Gold Matte Metallics on the craft pumpkin.
- Paint four similar-sized scallop shapes in Gold Matte Metallics along one side of the line.
- Paint three smaller-sized scallop shapes in Gold Matte Metallics at the other end of the line.
- Using Gold Matte Metallics, paint four even-sized scallop shapes along the opposite side of the line mirroring the other side.
- Allow paint to dry and repeat for additional coverage.
- Continue painting more leaves all over the pumpkin in random spots and directions.
- Using a #10 paintbrush, apply Gold Craft Twinkles to the tips of the pinecones. Put aside to dry.
- When dry, turn the pinecones over and apply Gold Craft Twinkles to the reverse side. Repeat for the majority of the remaining pinecones.
- Paint a handful of the pinecones in Lavender, following STEPS A and B.
- Paint the base of the birdhouse in Buttermilk and the roof in Gold Matte Metallics.
- Using a #10 flat paintbrush, paint Gold Craft Twinkles all over the painted roof. Repeat with other three birdhouses.
- Using a 4” flat brush, paint Gold Matte Metallics to the lower half of the basket.
- Continue all the way around the basket.
- Using a #10 flat paintbrush, paint the handle of the basket in Buttermilk.