Choose your favorite fabric to create these end tables turned nightstands using Americana Decor® Chalky Finish.
- water container
- paper towels
- painter's tape
- 2" flat brush
- 1" flat brush
- wooden shims
- 1" foam brush
- charcoal pencil
- end table
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Wipe down the table with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt.
- With painter's tape, tape off where the leg meets the table and the upper side of the table edge. Paint the legs with Escape with a 2" flat brush. Apply additional coats as needed, allowing to dry between coats. While the paint is still wet, remove the painter's tape.
- Tape off the side edge of the table, leaving approximately half of the bottom portion showing. Paint the bottom portion in Rustic. Apply additional coats as needed, allowing to dry completely between coats. Remove the painter's tape while the paint is still wet.
- Tape off the top portion of the side edge of the table. (Be sure that Rustic on the bottom portion of the side is completely dry before applying the tape.) Paint the top of the table and the top side edge in Escape. Apply additional coats as needed.
- Measure 2" from the bottom of each leg and mark with a charcoal pencil. Apply painter's tape above the line and around each leg. Paint the bottom of each leg with Rustic.
- Wash and dry the fabric without fabric softener. Iron for a wrinkle-free fabric.
- Lay the fabric flat with the wrong side up. Load a sponge brush with Americana Outdoor Decou-Page. Apply a thin, even coat covering all of the fabric. Let dry completely while flat. (This will help stiffen the fabric to be able to get the correct shape of the tabletop.)
- With the wrong side of the fabric up, flip the table on top of the fabric. Trace around the tabletop with a pen or pencil. Cut out the shape.
- Lay the fabric, right side up, on top of the end table. Fold the fabric over half-way. (Refer to photo.) Apply Outdoor Decou-Page evenly to half of the table.
- Flip the fabric on top of the Outdoor Decou-Page. Smooth out with hands and a brayer. (Clean up any excess Outdoor Decou-Page as soon as you notice it.)
- Flip the remaining piece of fabric over. Apply Outdoor Decou-Page to the rest of the time. Be sure to go all the way up to the fabric. Fold fabric over onto Outdoor Decou-Page and smooth fabric with hands and brayer. Apply a layer of Outdoor Decou-Page onto the entire piece of fabric on the top.
- Hammer in the first tack along the top edge of the tabletop. Place a wooden shim next to the tack and make a mark with a pencil or pen.
- Tap in the next tack part way. Line up the tack with the edge of the pencil mark. Hold the tack with needle-nose pliers and finish tacking the rest of the way. Repeat the process until the entire perimeter of the tabletop is completed.
- Using a 2" and 1" flat brush, apply Light Satin Varnish over all Chalky Finish areas.
- Repeat process for an additional nightstand.