Get into the fall spirit by painting this DIY pumpkin pillow for your favorite outdoor space, using SoSoft® Fabric Acrylics.
- #12 flat brush
- masking tape
- 3/4" flat brush
- fabric painting form
- Ultra-Fine Writer Tip
- 18" x 18" canvas pillow cover
For best results, the fabric should be cotton or a cotton blend and washed and dried without fabric softener before painting.
- Start with a canvas pillow cover. Tip: Remove any hair or lint with some making tape to have a clean surface for painting.
- Place a stiff form inside the pillow, pull it tight, and tape it down with masking tape (if needed). Print and cut out the provided templates. Trace the templates onto the surface lightly with a pencil or colored pencil. Fill in details using the patterns as a reference.
- Using a 3/4" flat brush, paint the bottom pumpkin with Peaches & Cream SoSoft Fabric Acrylic. While the paint is still wet, add some Buttermilk onto some areas for highlights. To add some shadows, paint on some Cadmium Orange Hue around the bottom and top edges and on edges between sections for definition. (See photo.)
- Paint the top pumpkin using the same technique, using Baby Blue Deep, Buttermilk, and Peacock Teal and a #12 flat brush. Add definition with the darkest color around the edges of the pumpkin's sections and underneath the flower and leaf.
- Using the #12 flat brush, paint the leaf with Bright Avocado. While the paint is still wet, paint some highlighted areas with a small amount of Buttermilk. Then, add some veining detail and shadowed areas with Olive Green.
- Using the #12 flat brush, paint the back sunflower petals and center with Cadmium Orange Hue. Add a touch of Peacock Teal and Bittersweet Orange to the brush to create the darker shade for the very center and edges. Paint the front petals with Antique Gold. While still wet add some Bright Yellow. Add highlights to parts of all the petals and center with Buttermilk.
- Add any needed shading to the pumpkins by adding a touch of Olive Green to Bittersweet Orange for the bottom pumpkin and to Peacock Teal for the blue pumpkin. Next, add an Ultra-Fine Writer Tip to the Olive Green bottle. Outline the shapes and details of the pumpkins, leaf, stem, petals and center of the sunflower to define them. (See photo.)
- This DIY project will get you ready for fall and add beauty to your porch décor. Or enjoy it indoors to add an instant crisp autumn vibe.
DOWNLOADSBottom Pumpkin Template
Top Pumpkin Template