Painting florals in autumn colors is a lovely way to get into the fall spirit.
- clean cloth
- 1" Angle Brush
- 6 Filbert Brush
- 18 x 18 Square Pallet MDF Board
This project was originally designed by Michele Norman using Americana Premium Paints. This updated variation uses Americana Acrylics.
- Doing one section at a time, apply a coat of gel stain on the wood pallet.
- While the stain is still moist, use a lint free cloth to wipe off the excess stain. Continue this process until the entire pallet has been stained. Allow to dry.
- Using Natural Buff, Snow White, and Slate Grey, paint a simple pumpkin shape on the bottom 2/3 of the pallet. You’ll mix the colors together to give your pumpkin more depth. Slate Grey can be added and blended with Snow White to create a shadow effect. Leave a thin line of the wood pallet in between each section of the pumpkin. Continue painting sections until the entire pumpkin shape has been painted.
- Paint 4 leaf clusters using Matcha Green and Eucalyptus Green. To help balance your pieces, be sure to use a rough “x” layout when placing the stems. Start by adding Matcha Green leaves and a stem. Blend it with the Eucalyptus Green to create dimension. Repeat to create the same look with the diagonal stem.
- For the two remaining stems, start with the Eucalyptus Green and then blend in the Matcha Green to achieve darker leaves. This creates a balanced combination between color and depth.
- Mix Snow White, Antique Gold, and Raw Sienna. Paint 3 branches, one between each set of green leaves, except for the bottom two green leaves.
- Paint 4 flower buds using Matcha Green and Eucalyptus Green. Start with the Eucalyptus green first. You’ll add 2 buds in between the bottom leaves, one bud at the top, in between the light leaves and the branch, and the final bud on the right side between the dark green leaves and the branch on the side.
- Mix Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Antique Gold, and Jack O Lantern Orange to paint the flowers for the buds. To paint these flowers, paint 3 oval shapes at the base of each bud.
- Mix Natural Buff and Poetic Plum and paint 3 large circles in the open space above the pumpkin. These will be the centers of the larger flowers.
- Mix Raw Sienna, Antique Gold, Jack O Lantern Orange, and Natural Buff together to paint the petals of the larger flowers. Continue adding colors like Poetic Plum and Natural Buff to create dimension.