The fruits of the fall harvest are the focal point of these painted placemats.
- water container
- paper towels
- #3 round brush
- #6 filbert brush
- #0 liner brush
- palette paper
- white transfer paper
- #4 filbert brush
- #8 filbert brush
- canvas placemat
- #14 flat brush
- script brush
Change the size of the filbert brush as needed.
- Base the surface of the placemat with Espresso. When dry, transfer the pattern with white or light graphite.
- Base the entire design with Cool Neutral. When dry, dampen with Drying Time Extender and wipe off the excess with a paper towel. Apply shade of Raw Sienna. Let dry and again dampen, wipe, and apply the highlight of Snow White. With a brush mix of Burnt Umber and a touch of Snow White and the script brush, apply the small thin twigs holding berries. When all is dry, remove any remaining pattern lines.
- Dampen a leaf and wipe off excess. Apply a shadow of Black Forest Green in the dark areas of the leaf. Pinch wipe and apply Yellow Green in the remainder of the leaf. While still damp, apply a little Naphthol Red as a burnish to the dirty brush. (Just hit and miss with the Naphthol Red.) Repeat for each leaf.
- For the grapes: Dampen, wipe, and apply a shadow of a brush mix of Red Violet and a touch of Ultramarine Blue in the shadow areas. Work one cluster of grapes at a time. Pinch wipe the brush and add a little Snow White and apply a highlight.
- For the yellow gourd in center: Dampen and wipe. While still damp, apply a dark shadow of Raw Sienna and a touch of Burnt Umber. Wipe brush. Add Bright Yellow and base in the remainder of the gourd. Pinch wipe the brush and add a little Snow White for the highlight.
- For the pumpkin at left: Dampen and wipe. Apply a brush mix of Raw Sienna and a touch of Naphthol Red to fill in the remainder of the pumpkin. Pinch wipe the brush and a little Snow White for highlight.
- For the squash at right: Dampen and wipe. Place a brush mix of Red Violet and a little Raw Sienna in the shadow area. Wipe brush and edge into a little Naphthol Red and Raw Sienna and fill in the remainder of the squash.
- For the berries: Dampen and wipe using the smallest filbert brush and paint some of the berries with Naphthol Red. Add Bright Yellow to the dirty brush and apply a few orange berries. Add a little Red Violet for the very darkest berries.
- The line-work for the leaves is a brush mix of Black Forest Green and Burnt Umber plus a little water using the script brush. (See photo 3 for placement.)
- Let all dry.
- Dampen and wipe the grapes. Slip-slap just a hit and miss of Red Violet. Edge into a small amount of Snow White and apply along the edges of the grapes. Additional detail is Snow White. The stems on the squash and pumpkin are Black Forest Green. Add a little Snow White and Burnt Umber for the lighter areas.
- The stem on the gourd is based with Raw Sienna with a shade of Burnt Umber and a highlight of Snow White. The shadow under the design is a mix of Burnt Umber and a little Black Forest Green applied with the large flat brush.
- When dry, apply two coats of DuraClear Matte Varnish for durability.
- Dampen the gourd, pumpkin, and squash and wipe. Edge into a little Snow White to the strokes of highlights.