A square vase and tropical images in bright colors combine on this eye-catching glass accent.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- liner brush
- painter's or masking tape
- small plastic cup (about 1" width) with top (or seal with foil or plastic)
- clear glass vase
- soft bristle brush (size 2-5)
- Print out the pattern; insert it inside the vase, securing it with painter’s or masking tape.
- Pour White into a plastic cup, filling it about 1/3 full. Add a few drops of Yellow and a smaller amount of Orange. Mix until the color resembles sand. Using a liner brush, outline the island.
- Mix Blue with a few drops of White for light blue and outline water with a liner brush. Using a soft bristle brush, fill in the water with the Blue/White mix. (Press the brush down so the paint streaks a little for a water effect.)
- Outline the trunk of the palm tree with Black, using a liner brush.
- Mix White with a couple drops of Black until mid-tone grey is achieved. Fill in the tree trunk with a soft bristle brush.
- Using Black, fill in the rounded top portion of the trunk. Let dry.
- When the paint is dry, add detail to the top of trunk using the mid-tone grey, painting small lines with a liner brush.
- Add detail to the trunk using Black and a liner brush. Paint lines from left to right border, spaced more at bottom and closer together at top. (The trunk should be darker at top.)
- Mix Green with a few drops of Black to obtain very dark green. Using a liner brush, paint the top, middle palm starting at the top of the trunk and painting a straight line upward. Paint fronds to each side of the line from bottom to top.
- While paint is still wet, using the same brush and Green/Black mix from step 9, paint fronds to either side of the palm so they appear to be in front of the middle palm. Paint the remaining three palms.
- Using a liner brush, fill in the areas between the existing fronds with Green.
- Mix Green with a few drops of White for light green. Using a liner brush, add detail to the fronds by brushing Green/White mix throughout the fronds. Let dry.
- When paint is dry, keep painting with Green/Black mix (step 9), Green, and Green/White mix (step 12) until the palms are filled in and the desired effect is reached.
- Using the sand-colored paint in plastic cup from step 2 and a soft bristle brush, drag generous amounts of paint around to all edges, filling in the island. Let dry and reapply until desired thickness is reached.
- Outline the flamingo body with a liner brush using Red mixed with a few drops of Pink. Outline the beak using White.
- Mix Pink with a few drops of White for light pink and fill in the flamingo's body with a liner brush.
- Paint legs, eye, wing, and beak detail using Black and a liner brush. Add detail to the flamingo by using Pink/White mix from step 16 and Red/Pink mix from step 15 and a liner brush in areas throughout the body.