Fresh as a Daisy Desk Set
Posted by DecoArt on Jun 26th 2014
Create a set of desk accessories with a bright and lively floral theme with Americana® Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- 1" flat brush
- #6 filbert brush
- #8 dome blender brush
- 3/8" angle brush
- #4 filbert brushes
- #10 dome blender
- #1 script liner brush
- 12" dome blender
- plastic wrap
- wooden toothbrush holder
- blue striped linen towel
- large ball stylus
- wooden tissue box
- To prepare the box and holder, start by sanding the wooden surfaces. Use a 1" flat brush and Americana Primer and Sealer to seal the tissue box and toothbrush holder surfaces.
- Basecoat both the toothbrush holder and tissue box with Sand.
- Tape off the lines. The lines are Deep Midnight Blue.
- Trace and transfer the pattern to the box and holder.
- Basecoat with a wash of color as follows: leaves, Avocado; petals: mix of Light Buttermilk and Lamp Black to medium grey value; and daisy center, Moon Yellow.
- Shade the leaves with Evergreen and then highlight them with Soft Sage. The stem is a wash of Avocado, shaded with Evergreen.
- Shade the petals with Black Plum. Highlight the petals with a dry-brush of Snow White. Shade the daisy center with Antique Gold and deepen it with Burnt Umber. The daisy center highlight is a mix of Snow White and Cadmium Yellow. Dot the daisy center with Burnt Umber, Cadmium Yellow, and Snow White.
- The scrolls are Avocado. The dots are Black Plum, Moon Yellow, and Snow White.
- Stipple Snow White in the highlight area.
- The lettering is Lamp Black.
- Let dry and seal with Americana Matte Spray Sealer.
- To prepare the desk mat, start by taping the towel to a hard surface. Lightly trace the design onto the map using a large ball stylus.
- Cover the towel with plastic wrap. Cut out the wrap around the design and remove the cut piece. (This will protect fabric from paint accidents.)
- Base in the following lightly on a dry brush (no water needed): leaves, Avocado Green; petals, Buttermilk and SoSoft Lamp Black mixed to medium grey value; and daisy center, SoSoft Cadmium Yellow.
- Shade the leaves with Christmas Green and highlight with Pistachio Green.
- Shade the petals with Dioxazine Purple and highlight with White.
- The daisy center is shaded with Americana Acrylic Antique Gold and deepened with Americana Acrylic Burnt Umber. It is highlighted with a mix of SoSoft Cadmium Yellow and White. The dots are Americana Acrylic Burnt Umber, SoSoft Cadmium Yellow, and White. Stipple White in the highlight area. (Note: When using Americana Acrylics on fabric, be sure to heat set with an iron.)
- The scrolls are Avocado. The dots are Dioxazine Purple, SoSoft Cadmium Yellow, and White.
- The lettering is SoSoft Lamp Black.