Funky Fun Flowers Mixed Media
Posted by DecoArt on Sep 4th 2014
Funky flowers and vibrant color take center stage in this mixed media canvas.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- #3 round brush
- 1" flat brush
- #2 liner brush
- Silhouette electronic cutting machine or craft knife
- random marking tools (texture comb, old credit card, finger, anything with tip, brayer, etc.)
- cosmetic sponge
- Gelli Gel Printing Plate
- small polka dot stencil
- white card stock
- kitchen sponge
- stencil with various size dots
- palette knife
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Rip assorted scrapbook papers up into approximate 3" to 5" pieces and decoupage all over the front of the canvas with Americana Matte Decou-Page and the 1" flat brush.
- Triple-load a 1" flat brush with Cobalt Teal, Blue Green Light, and Titanium White. Brush over the entire canvas front. Use a little more Titanium White as you get to the center of the canvas.
- Get a little Quinacridone Violet on a 1" flat brush and scrub in the center of the canvas.
- Mix (1) part Green Gold with (4) parts Modeling Paste and stir with a palette knife. Apply the polka dot stencil to the right top corner of the canvas with the stencil and palette knife. Apply more Modeling Paste around the perimeter of the canvas, avoiding the areas where your stencil will be.
- Mix (1) part Quinacridone Violet with (4) parts Crackle Paste. Stir with the palette knife and apply with the knife around the edge of the canvas top. (Don't be too precise. Let the shape be random and organic.)
- While the crackle paste is drying, you can watch some internet videos on Gelli Plates for inspiration. Drop paint onto the Gelli Plate and smooth out with the brayer. Use combinations of colors that are close to each other on the color wheel so you don't end up with brown. Yellow and orange would work well, yellow and purple may not be so pretty. Add texture to your paint by marking it with texture tools or stamping with a sponge cut into pieces.
- You can print on each paper more than once to add layered textures. When you have some prints that you like, use the Silhouette Machine to cut the flower pattern or use tracing paper, transfer paper and a pencil.
- Lay your flower parts out on the canvas until you get a design you like then decoupage them down with Matte Decou-Page and the #3 round brush.
- Accent your painting by using the #3 round brush and Cobalt Blue Hue mixed with equal parts Titanium White. Paint a loose outline around the 2 flowers on the left. Do the same with Blue Green Light and outline the flower on the right.
- Use Cobalt Blue Hue, Quinacridone Violet and Vermilion to add accents with the #2 liner brush.
- Use the cosmetic sponge and the stencil with various size dots to add random dots around the canvas. Use Quinacridone Violet and Cobalt Blue Hue. Stencil lightly so the dots are soft.
- Paint the sides of the canvas with a mixture of 2 parts Quinacridone Violet and 1 part Titanium White and the 1" flat brush.