Decorate a girl's favorite hangout with this mixed media canvas featuring DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- 3/4" flat brush
- #8 round brush
- cosmetic sponge
- assorted scrapbook paper
- palette knife
- oil pastels
Let dry completely between painting steps.
If preferred, rather than free-hand the girl and bird, trace the pattern onto the canvas with a pencil and the tracing and transfer papers.
- Cut or tear the scrapbook paper and, using a 3/4" flat brush, randomly adhere pieces to the canvas with Matte Medium.
- Using a finger, randomly dab dots all over the canvas in Primary Magenta, Green Gold, and Cobalt Teal Hue.
- Using a 3/4" flat brush, brush Translucent White over the entire canvas.
- Place the Americana Brick Wall Stencil onto the canvas, six layers up from the bottom. (This will be your guide as to where to paint.) Using a 3/4" flat brush, loosely paint with Primary Cyan and a bit of Primary Magenta. (Add a bit of Matte Medium for added transparency.)
- Tear out cloud shapes from the scrapbook paper and, using a 3/4" flat brush and Matte Medium, adhere to the sky area.
- Put the Brick Wall stencil down in place. Using a cosmetic sponge, dab on Titan Buff and Titanium White. Using a palette knife and White Gesso, begin to lay out the girl's face. Using a #8 round brush, add eyes in Primary Cyan, and cheeks with a 1:5 mix of Primary Magenta and Titanium White. Using a mix of equal parts of White Gesso, Primary Cyan, and Dioxazine Purple, add the hair with a palette knife. (Save this mix for later step.) Use a #8 round brush to add Gold Green accents throughout.
- Using a #8 round brush, add the dress in Titanium White with loose brush-strokes. Use oil pastels in brown, blue, and pink to add details to the face.
- Use a #8 round brush and the mix used for the hair (step 6) to add stripes to the dress and shoes. Add a bit of Titanium White to the same mix and use the new mix to paint the legs.
- Use a #8 round brush to paint the stars and outline with a purple oil pastel.
- Use a palette knife and White Gesso to add the bird. Keep building layers and adding colors: Gold Green, Primary Cyan, Primary Magenta, and Dioxazine Purple.