Add color and interest to plain wine glasses with Americana® Crystal Gloss Enamels and 3D Writers.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- rubbing alcohol
- Americana Glass Art Brush Set Specialty
- Americana Glass Art Brush Set Basic
- recycled wine glasses
- cellophane tape
- 1/2" pouncer
- 3/4" pouncer
Let dry completely between painting steps.
Clean the glasses with warm, soapy water; rinse in clear water and dry completely. Or wipe well with rubbing alcohol and dry well before painting.
- Load 3/4" sponge pouncer with Purple Crystal. Press pouncer onto plastic plate or palette a few times to push the paint up into the sponge. (Don't overload.) Position and press to create a grape. Repeat the application for large grapes. Switch to 1/2" sponge pouncer for smaller grapes. Repeat for three clusters on each glass.
- Repeat Step 1 twice more.
- Use a 1/8" flat brush to lightly apply Red Crystal on grape areas you wish to highlight. Repeat with Blue Crystal on shaded areas.
- Repeat Step 3.
- Use a 1/8" flat brush and Green Crystal to base in leaf shapes between the grape clusters.
- Squeeze a bead of Yellow 3D Writer on highlighted area of the leaf; two beads of Green 3D Writer in the leaf center; and Blue 3D Writer on the shaded side of desired area. Immediately begin pulling a liner brush from the outside edge toward the leaf center with short, choppy strokes. Next, pull the brush from the leaf center to the outer edge. Repeat for each side of leaf. (Remember to pull in the direction that leaf veins would grow.)
- Create a center vein by pulling a clean liner brush from leaf tip to leaf base. (Note: If you apply too much paint, just pull brush through a few times, wiping brush on paper towel after each pull. If you haven't applied enough paint, squeeze more wherever it is needed and continue to pull the brush toward the leaf center until you are satisfied with its appearance.)
- Repeat Steps 6 and 7 for each leaf. For more interest, do a few smaller leaves or leaves in other directions and change color placements.
- Once the leaves and grapes are dry, use Brown 3D Writer to make vines and tendrils.
- Position a 1" piece of cellophane tape, at angle, on the Black 3D Writer tip. Place the taped area between thumb and forefinger. Twirl the bottle, creating a smaller opening at the bottle tip with tape. Use the altered bottle to outline grapes and leaves.
- Allow painted glasses to dry for four days. Place glasses in a cold oven. Set the oven temperature to 275 degrees. When oven reaches 275, time for 30 minutes. Turn oven off, crack open oven door, and allow glasses to cool before removing. Painted glasses should be top-rack dishwasher safe when washed on gentle cycle. (Note: Paint needs to be totally dry before baking. If paints are cloudy, they are not completely dry.)