"I Feel Lucky" Door Décor
Posted by DecoArt on Mar 13th 2016
Create this "lucky" door accent with Americana® Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- transfer paper
- 1/2" flat brush
- #6 filbert brush
- #1 script liner brush
- wooden plaque
- #3 flat brush
- E6000 Glue
Graphite paper can be messy and leaves marks in lighter areas. To avoid this, wipe the graphite paper down first with a paper towel. (This will remove the excess.) Try to keep light pressure on the pattern and only allow pressure from the pencil.
- Remove the strings that hold the top banner plaque to the bottom plaque. Sand both pieces smooth, and wipe all dust from the surface. Basecoat both surfaces with a 1/2" flat brush in Warm White. Let dry. Once dry, transfer the provided pattern using transfer paper and a pencil.
- Paint "Lucky" with Margarita and a #3 flat brush. Once dry, outline "lucky" and paint the "I Feel" portion using a #1 script liner brush and Black Forest Green. Dab dots on the lettering with the handle end of the paintbrush. (Refer to photo.)
- Use the #3 flat brush to paint the leprechaun's hat and jacket in Forest Green. Let dry. Once dry, dip the brush lightly into Margarita; dab off on a paper towel; and pounce the brush onto the Forest Green area to look like a velvet material. (Be sure to change the direction of the brush for added texture.) Paint the face and hands in Natural Buff using a #6 filbert brush. Use the #3 flat brush to paint the gold pieces in Mustard Seed.
- Use the handle end of a #1 liner brush to add freckles and outline with the same brush in Soft Black. Using the liner brush, paint the eyes in Warm White; Baby Blue for the irises; and Soft Black for the pupils. Use the #3 flat brush to paint the hair in Spiced Pumpkin and a liner brush to outline it in Soft Black.
- For the shamrock, double-load a #6 filbert brush with Festive Green and Margarita. With Festive Green on the outside, paint the largest and smallest shamrocks. (Refer to photo.) With Festive Green on the left side of the double-loaded brush, paint the stem. Paint the second largest shamrock in Festive Green and the final shamrock in Forest Green.
- Paint the kettle in Soft Black with a #3 flat brush. Paint buckles on the arms and hat in Mustard Seed. Highlight the buckles and the gold in the kettle using Splendid Gold. Outline details using Soft Black and a #1 script liner brush. (Refer to photo for placement.)
- Cut green ribbon into (3) 8" pieces. Attach one to the top for hanging, using E6000 Glue. String the other two ribbon pieces through the holes and tie onto the back. (Refer to photo for placement.)
- Spray several light coats of Plastercraft Gloss Sealer/Finish, allowing to dry between coats for added durability.