Painted Styrofoam balls line up as a whimsical garden helper.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tacky glue
- #4 round brush
- #12 flat brush
- clay tool or similar
- four 1" (25-mm) Styrofoam balls
- 3" and 4" pieces of 20-gauge gold wire
Let dry completely between painting steps.
PROJECT TIP: Use fingertips to push in and mold any added grooves in surface to make your project more individualized.
- Rub Styrofoam balls across piece of sandpaper to flatten bottoms. One ball needs to be flattened on top, as well. (This will be piece that attaches to head.)
- Use fingertips to push in area for eyes on one Styrofoam ball (not one flattened on two sides). Pinch area between eyes to create ridge for nose Use tip of clay tool to push in area where mouth will be located. With fingers, flatten top of head slightly, to create more squared look to face.
- Cover all four balls with three coats of MagiKote. Sand, if necessary, in between each coat to achieve smooth surface.
- Refer to diagram to assemble caterpillar: Break toothpick in half, dab end in glue, then push half of toothpick into bottom side of head. Dab other end of toothpick into glue, then into ball that has been flattened on two sides. Curl piece of 4" wire slightly. Push uncurled end into ball beneath head (chest portion), and then into each of other two balls. Bend caterpillar body to a slight curl (this will help it stand on its own); trim off any leftover wire. Curl end of wire back into ball to hi
- Paint entire caterpillar Apple Green, then streak highlights of Bright Lime Green across top parts of body and chest.
- Dip end of paintbrush handle into Coral Sunset and Deep Buttercup, and add dots to back as shown in photo.
- Add facial features using Wrought Iron and Cloud White.
- Bend remaining piece of wire in half. Pinch fold in between fingers and spread out top. (Keep approximately ¼" folded together tightly.) Curl ends. Dip wire into glue and gently push folded area into top of head for antennae. If glue shows when dry, dab with Apple Green.