A retro tabletop basic becomes a work of floral art with DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- transfer paper
- 1/4" flat brush
- detail brushes
- black ink
- 1" foam brush
- 1/2" round brush
- lazy Susan
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Prepare the surface of the lazy Susan with a complete layer of White Gesso on a foam brush.
- Cover the entire top of the lazy Susan using a foam brush and Cerulean Blue watered down to 50/50. Work this mix quickly and blot with a damp paper towel to add texture. Do this same process to the lazy Susan's sides and underside.
- Use the transfer paper and a pencil or stylus to transfer the flower pattern to the center of the lazy Susan. Using the Gesso and the round brush, paint within the pattern.
- Using the flat brush, paint a ring around the entire inner edge of the lazy Susan with White Gesso.
- Using Cadmium Red Hue, paint the entire flower image and inner edge of the lazy Susan. If two coats are needed, let the paint fully dry between coats.
- Using Primary Yellow and Diarylide Yellow, load up the round brush, 1/2 dipped in each color, and paint the center of the flower with a pouncing motion to create a little bit of texture. (Don't clean the brush at this point.) Dip the brush into Titanium White and pounce a little into the middle of the center of the flower. Using the same two colors, switch to a detail brush and lightly stroke a little paint down each petal of the flower. (This gives a little lightness to each petal.)
- With a 1/4" flat brush and Titanium White, paint the top of the Cadmium Red Hue ring with a square shape, using the flowers as references for placement. Apply two coats as needed.
- With Cadmium Red Hue and a detail brush, paint a heart shape in each of the Titanium White squares. Using the detail brush and Cerulean Blue, paint a thin, single line around the outer inside edge of the Cadmium Red Hue ring.
- With a black ink pen, make swirly strokes around each flower petal and doodle within each swirl. Add swirls around the center of the flower.
- With a toothpick and Titanium White, add dots around the centers of the flower and the inner edge. Use a toothpick and Cerulean Blue to add dots by the hearts.