Create this charming family of leprechauns for St. Patrick's Day with Americana® Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- 3/4" flat brush
- #8 flat brush
- craft foam
- black permanent marker
- terra cotta pot
- wiggle eyes
- hand saw
- wooden dowel rod
- floral foam blocks
- pipe cleaners
- doll hair
- E6000 Glue
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Slice the three dowel sticks into slices approximately 1/8"-1/4" thick. (You'll need (6) slices of the 1/4" dowel; (3) slices of the 7/16" size; and (3) slices of 5/8" size.) Sand any rough edges. (If desired, pre-purchase these size slices.)
- Trace the face patterns with tracing and transfer papers on the back of the spoons. Using E6000 Glue, adhere the ears and noses onto the spoons, gluing the largest size on the large spoon, the medium size on medium spoon; and the smallest sizes on the small spoons.
- Wipe down the terra cotta pot with a damp paper towel. Paint two coats of Yellow Gold (Metallic) on the outside and inside of the pot with a 3/4" flat brush. Allow to dry completely between coats.
- Trace and transfer the large shamrock pattern evenly-spaced to four areas around the pot. Paint the shamrocks with one coat of Festive Green. Apply a second coat to half of a shamrock; immediately sprinkle with Crystal Glamour Dust. Finish the second half with paint and sprinkle with Glamour Dust. Repeat with the other three shamrocks. Adhere the strip of glitter ribbon around the pot rim with E6000 Glue.
- With Flesh Tone and a 3/4" flat brush, paint Mom's and Daughter's faces, backs of their heads, and ears. Repeat for Dad and Son, painting their ears and faces only. Paint Dad's and Son's beards, hair, and backs of their heads with Orange Flame using a #8 flat brush.
- Paint the cheeks on all with Poodleskirt Pink and a #8 flat brush. Add a touch of Poodleskirt Pink to all noses. Paint Dad's and Son's bodies with Festive Green and a 3/4" flat brush. Paint Mom's and Daughter's bodies with Sour Apple.
- With the pattern, cut a large hat from glitter craft foam and a small hat from plain green foam. Cut both hat bands from the green fun foam; paint the hat bands with two coats of Black Gloss Enamels Glitter. Cut the hat buckles from green fun foam and paint with two coats of Yellow Gold (Metallic). Glue on the hat bands and buckles with E6000 Glue.
- Trace on the beard and mouth lines onto the spoons. Glue on the largest eyes on Dad, the oblong eyes on Mom, and the small eyes on Son and Daughter. Draw on the beards and mouths and outline the hair with a black permanent marker.
- Glue on two joined pipe cleaners for arms, gluing 1/4" below head. Make ribbon bows and glue under the heads. Glue the hats on Dad and Son. With the curly hair, lay strips of hair in rows, tying in the middle with a hair strand. Glue the hair in place with E6000 Glue; use clothespins to hold the hair in place until dry.
- Trace and cut (5) large shamrocks from green fun foam and (5) from green glitter foam. Wrap tinsel pipe cleaners around a pencil about six times to make spirals. Glue (3) plain green and (3) green glitter shamrocks to the pipe cleaners; clip with clothespins to dry.
- Glue a large shamrock in one hand of each leprechaun. Glue a tiny shamrock and flower into hair of Mom and Daughter.
- Place floral foam into the pot and poke the spoons into the foam. Poke shamrocks on stems into the foam. Place the garland around the top of the pot, then poke in a couple of flower stems into pot.