Judge these books as trendy décor with covers highlighted by Americana Decor® Matte Metallics™.
- flat brush
- old book
- stipple brush
- paper plate
- medium round brush
- masking tape
- Gather some old books, as many as you need to fulfill your decorative need.
- For the first book, mask off lines of any width.
- Paint the unmasked stripes with Carbon. Allow to dry.
- Peel off the masking tape.
- Re-mask to paint the remaining lines with Lace. Allow to dry and remove the tape.
- Choose which numbers to use from the Top 20 Americana Stencil. Mask off all the others.
- Gather Gold Matte Metallics and a stippling brush.
- Dip the brush into the paint and dab off onto a paper plate.
- Using a circling motion, paint a light coat of Gold onto the stencil. Allow to dry. For the final coat, stipple on the paint. (TIP: For a more opaque coverage, paint on the final coat with a soft brush.) Allow to dry. Remove the tape and stencil.
- For a pop of color, mask off a line at the top and paint with Romance. Allow to dry and remove tape.
- Pick another book with a nice cover color or basecoat with a Chalky Finish color of your choice. (To complement the Rose Gold, I chose a book with a sky blue colored-cover. TIP: This book will be used separately from the previously striped book. If you want to use the books together, just pick colors that work nicely together or match your décor.)
- Mask off the pages of the book to keep them clean.
- Drip the Rose Gold paint into the line between the spine and the cover.
- Tip the book to allow drips to flow. Add more paint if needed.
- When the look is satisfactory, lay flat to dry. Remove the tape.
- For the third technique, mask off diagonal lines on a book.
- Paint sections with Rose Gold. Allow to dry. Apply a second coat for even coverage. Allow to dry.
- Remove the tape.
- At this point you can decide to stop or continue.
- To continue, paint the bare lines with Rose Gold Extreme Sheen using a flat brush. Allow to dry and add a second coat for even coverage. Allow to dry.
- All of these techniques can be used with any color of Matte Metallics. Books are a fun way to experiment with paint and design as well as adding an element of shine to décor.