Give your keys a home in this mixed media key holder highlighted by a cozy cottage.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- 1-1/2" flat brush
- 2" chip brush
- #2 round brush
- 1/4" flat brush
- #0 liner brush
- craft knife
- wooden plaque
- 3D flowers
- hanging hooks
- papier mâché house
Let dry completely between painting steps.
The wooden plaque used was pre-painted and distressed; if desired, paint the plaque in Everlasting, let dry, and distress with sandpaper before beginning the project.
- With the chimney toward the front, use a ruler to mark a line 1” around the front of the papier-mâché house. Carefully cut the house in two along this line.
- Use Americana Matte Decou-Page to adhere the top and bottom of the house together. Adhere the house to the center of the wooden plaque.
- Dilute one or two drops of Titanium White with water and apply an opaque basecoat onto the house. (Test the paint color on the leftover part of the house if needed.)
- In pencil, free-hand the door, windows, chimney, and any other details that you’d like to add to the cottage.
- Use one or two drops of Carbon Black diluted with water to paint the roof. Dilute one or two drops of Quinacridone Magenta and mix in a little Carbon Black to back the brick color. (Again, test the concentration on the leftover papier-mâché piece, if needed.) Paint the brick chimney with the same mix. Use a less-diluted Titanium White solution to paint the curtains in the windows.
- Add texture to the roof with Liquid Glass applied in a scalloped pattern. Allow to dry thoroughly until clear and hard to the touch before moving to the next step.
- Mix a few drops of Cerulean Blue and Titanium White and dilute with water. Paint the house siding with this mix. Dilute one or two drops of Quinacridone Magenta and paint the door. Using a less-concentrated solution of this mix, add details to the curtains and roof trim. Using a fine tip brush, outline the windows and door with Carbon Black.
- Mix one to two drops of Cerulean Blue and Hansa Yellow Medium to make green for the background. Dab a chip brush into the paint and wipe the excess paint onto a paper towel or piece of paper. Sparingly, add the Cerulean Blue/Hansa Yellow Medium mix onto the wooden plaque as the background color.
- Add the key hooks to the bottom of the wooden plaque. (These will just twist in by hand.)
- Position the 3D flowers onto the plaque. Use a paintbrush to apply Decou-Page onto the back of each flower and place onto the plaque. Gently press into place and coat the top of the flower with Decou-Page.