Mixed Media Exploring Color and Texture
Posted by DecoArt on Feb 22nd 2016
Introduce color and texture onto a mixed media canvas with DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics.
- 1" flat brush
- clean cloth
- palette knife
- E6000 Glue
- double-sided, repositionable tape
Let dry completely between painting steps.
Black Gesso must be completely dry before applying Crackle Paste. Crackle Paste must be set aside to dry before painting.
- Randomly paint a 16" x 20" canvas in Blue Green Light and Cobalt Turquoise Hue. Cut four 4" x 15" strips of paper; use a little double-sided repositionable tape on the corners to place them on the canvas. With the strips in place, use a palette knife to spread Black Gesso in between the strips. So that the Gesso doesn't bleed under the paper, start wiping from the paper to the canvas. Carefully lift the strips before the Gesso dries.
- After the Gesso is dry, add Crackle Paste onto the canvas where the strips were removed.
- Use objects like cups and other items to leave imprints on the crackled areas.
- For the next few steps, you will mix paint and Matte Medium to create a pastel paint paste. How much paint and Matte Medium you need will depend on the size of the surface you are covering.
- For the first rectangle, mix a few drops of Deep Turquoise with Matte Medium and paint the entire crackled surface. Paint from left to right; as you get to the right, add a few more drops of paint color to the mix to make it gradually darker. As you get to the edge on the right, finish by painting with undiluted color.
- For the next rectangles, repeat with the following colors mixed with Matte Medium: Blue Green Light, Eggplant, and Cobalt Turquoise Hue.
- After the paint has dried, rub on Brilliant Turquoise and Majestic Purple with a dry rag to the darker edges of the strips of coordinating colors. Buff to shine.
- Here is what the Crackle Paste and Metallic Lustre areas will look like when dry.
- Use the same colors on a chipboard dragonfly. Let dry. Once dry, apply Majestic Purple and Brilliant Turquoise on top of the dragonfly.
- Adhere the dragonfly to the canvas with E6000 Glue following package instructions.