Mixed Media "Home At Last" Key Holder
Posted by DecoArt on Nov 3rd 2015
A practical and fun key holder, made with DecoArt Media®, makes a unique gift no matter what the season.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- #6 flat brush
- #12 flat brush
- #1 liner brush
- #1 round brush
- assorted scrapbook paper
- cup hooks
- palette shadow box
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Use a #12 flat brush and Green Gold to paint the grass in a hill shape on the shadow box. Rinse brush.
- Use scrapbook paper of your choice for the house shape. Using the tracing and transfer papers, trace the house shape onto the back of the scrapbook paper. Use scissors to cut out.
- Use the #12 flat brush with Matte Medium to apply to the shadow box, then quickly lay the house shape down, and brush more Matte Medium on to seal. Rinse brush.
- On the back of another scrapbook paper of choice, trace and transfer the roof pattern. Cut out with scissors.
- Use the #12 flat brush and Matte Medium to adhere on the roof following the instructions from step 3.
- On the back of another scrapbook paper of choice, trace and transfer the chimney. Use the same brush to apply Matte Medium to adhere the chimney. Rinse brush.
- Use a #1 round brush to mix (2) parts Titanium White with (1) part Green Gold. Use the mix to paint curved stripes following the curve of the grass.
- Trace and transfer the tree pattern. Use a #1 round brush and Phthalo Green-Blue to fill in the tree. Put two coats on the right side to shade. Rinse brush.
- Use a #6 flat brush to mix (2) parts Titanium White with a small amount of Cobalt Teal Hue. Use the mix to fill in the windows. Rinse brush.
- Use a #6 flat brush and Yellow Oxide to fill in the door. Rinse brush.
- Trace and transfer the birdhouse on the side of the house. Use a #1 round brush and Quinacridone Magenta to fill in the birdhouse. Rinse brush. Use the same brush to paint the stand and the roof. Rinse brush.
- Use a #1 round brush and Titanium White to paint the scalloped border under the roof and the framing around the door and windows. Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 round brush to mix Quinacridone Burnt Orange with a small amount of water. Use this glaze to shade the edges of the roof, chimney, door, and house. Rinse brush.
- Use a #1 round brush and Cobalt Turquoise Hue to fill in the bird, add the details on the birdhouse, and outline the house and details. Rinse brush.
- Use a #1 liner brush and Carbon Black to add detail to the windows, tree, and birdhouse. Rinse brush.
- Trace and transfer the word pattern on the bottom of the shadow box.
- Use a #1 round brush and Titanium White to fill in the letters only. Rinse brush.
- Use a #1 liner brush to mix (1) part Green Gold with (1) part Phthalo Green-Blue. Use the mix to paint the stems and leaves from the word pattern. Rinse brush.
- Screw the number of cup hooks of your choice into the bottom of the box. (I chose three.)
- Screw the cup hooks in evenly.