Here's a whimsical canvas that will liven up any holiday décor with muted, watercolor-like color.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- 3/4" flat brush
- #8 round brush
- craft glue
- 12" x 12" canvas
- scrapbook paper
- plaid ribbon
- embellishments of choice
- printed images
- Tear the scrapbook paper and use a 3/4" flat brush to adhere the paper to the canvas with Matte Medium. Use a 3/4" flat brush to very loosely paint over the paper with Green Gold and Cerulean Blue, adding water to the canvas as you brush on the paint for a watercolor look. Let dry.
- Use a 3/4" flat brush to paint the entire canvas with Cerulean Blue. Immediately splash water over the paint; wait about two minutes; and blot dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Repeat the background painting process with the reds: Use a 3/4" flat brush to paint the entire canvas surface with Pyrrole Red. Use a 3/4" flat brush to loosely paint the perimeter in Quinacridone Red. Immediately splash the water over the paint; wait two minutes; and blot with a paper towel.
- Use a pencil and the tracing and transfer papers to trace the snowman pattern onto the scrapbook paper and cut out with scissors. Find a hat of your choice online; print; and cut out.
- Use a 3/4" flat brush to adhere the snowman and hat to the canvas with Matte Medium. Use a #8 round brush to add rosy cheeks with a 1:2 mix of Quinacridone Red and Titanium White. Use a #8 round brush to paint the nose Cadimum Orange Hue. Continue adding colors of your choice to the snowman. (Add plenty of water to the paint for a watercolor look.) Use a #8 round brush to paint the eyes in Carbon Black.
- Use a #8 round brush to paint the pipe with Carbon Black and highlight with Titanium White. Use a #8 round brush to loosely paint the stars in Titanium White. Continue randomly adding more details (circles, Xs, and paint splatters) in various colors as well as in Titanium White.
- Cut the plaid ribbon to 10"and tie in a knot. Adhere in place with craft glue. Adhere the heart in place with craft glue. Cut two pieces of jute (8" each); tie knots for hands; and glue into place.