Mixed Media Wooden Summer House
Posted by DecoArt on Jun 18th 2015
Bring life and texture to a wooden house shape with DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- 1/4" flat brush
- #8 round brush
- #0 liner brush
- 1" foam brush
- wooden shape
- detail brush
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Prime the wooden house shape with White Gesso using a 1" foam brush.
- Put a few drops of Cobalt Teal Hue, Titanium White, and Cobalt Turquoise Hue on a palette or plastic plate. Dip the foam brush in so that all three colors are on the brush. Paint using this technique for the entire surface, allowing the streaks to show.
- Place the Americana Decor Distressed Harlequin Stencil on the lower part of the house vertically. Using Titanium White, pounce the foam brush randomly around the house on all four sides. Repeat this with Cobalt Turquoise Hue.
- Dip a #8 round brush into water and then into Cobalt Turquoise Hue, adding a bit of water to it. Tap the brush slightly over the house on all four sides to create some splattering.
- Turn the Distressed Harlequin Stencil horizontally on the roof and repeat the process from the previous step for all four sides of the roof. Using the Gesso, paint the door, windows, and scallop border around the roof line and door, and create the flowers, stems, and leaves. Go heavy on the Gesso on the flowers to give them a more raised surface.
- With a #8 round brush, paint the flowers Naphthol Red Light. Quickly take a piece of paper towel and lightly dab the center of the flower to make it lighter. Paint a small bit of Titanium White in the center of the flowers. With a detail brush, add dots of Primary Yellow, let dry, and add a small dot of Carbon Black. For the stems and leaves, paint in layers of Yellow Green Light and Green Gold.
- Mix a drop or two of Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide and Carbon Black. Use mix to paint in the windows. Dab lightly with paper towels on one side of the window to give it lightness. Add a cross to the windows and door in Metallic Gold. Paint in the window box in Metallic Gold. Outline the window, panes, and box with Titanium White.
- Paint the door with a 1/4" flat brush and Quinacridone Magenta. With a damp paper towel, wipe a little bit off to make it lighter in the middle. Paint the door panel cross in Metallic Gold and highlight with Titanium White. Paint small scallops around the door with a mix of Carbon Black and Titanium White watered down a bit, and highlight with Titanium White. Paint a small heart using a liner brush with Pyrrole Red and a small dot of Carbon Black in the center.
- For the roof, paint all the harlequins with Quinacrindone Burnt Orange using a #8 round brush. Using a foam brush, paint entire roof with a 50/50 mix of Metallic Gold and water.
- Optional: Use Carbon Black and a liner brush to paint in script of you choice on the back of house. Rub over the wording with damp paper towel to distress.
- Water down Carbon Black and use a liner brush to go around the door, windows, scallops, and flowers to add shading.
- Place drops of Carbon Black and Metallic Gold on a plate, and use a finger to randomly rub the edges of the house.
- When completely dry, spray with Americana Matte Spray Finish.