Modern Floral Glass Painting
Posted by DecoArt on Oct 26th 2021
Using our new Modern Floral Color Collection, you can paint endless variations of floral art to brighten your days.
- paper towels
- rubbing alcohol
- masking tape
- hair dryer (optional)
- glass frame
- Pick a frame of your choice. It can be a floating frame, but a regular frame will work equally well.
- Before painting, wipe down glass with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to remove any dust, oil and sticker residue.
- Center and tape the template to the back side of the glass. Mask off frame to protect while painting. Your flower template makes it easy for you to focus on the joy of painting!
- Gather the Designer Brushes you will need. For this design, I used the small flat and a liner brush. Plan the color placement of each DecoArt Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic paint color.
- Begin by painting the back pattern shapes with a layer of each color mixed with white. Mix (1) part Cotton Ball to (2) parts of each of the following colors: Coastal Waters (for the central flower), Pink Cadillac (for the large rose), Pink Tropics (for the small rose), Iris (for the striped flower), School Bus (for smaller floral details), Coral (for some floral shapes), Navy (for some other floral shapes) and Green Beret (for some leaves).
- Mix (1) part Cotton Ball to (2) parts of each of the following colors: Cactus (for some leaves) and Pistachio Mint (for some other leaves). Use the opposite end of your paintbrush to add dot details with each color as desired. Mix (1) part Pink Tropics to (1) part Iris and paint the inner sections of the large rose. Then, mix (1) part Pink Tropics to (1) part Navy and paint the inner sections of the small rose.
- Using a liner brush and Pink Tropics, paint details onto darker areas of large rose, light areas of the small rose and other details as desired. Using a liner brush, add Coral onto lighter areas of the large rose. Use other previously mixed colors to add details to floral shapes.
- Allow to dry between layers. (TIP: use a hairdryer to speed up dry time).
- Keep layering each shape with pattern, color and details until you reach your desired design. Use the finished project picture for inspiration!
- To add detail and dimension to the leaves, accent with Green Beret, blue mixtures or green mixtures.
- Add highlights of colors by adding more white. Add a darker contrast by adding Navy accents throughout.
- Remove masking tape and pattern.
- Look over your design and see if any additional accents are needed. Allow to dry.
- If needed, to create a more opaque painted effect on the glass, flip over the frame and carefully paint each shape with the original basecoat color. Allow to dry.
- This modern floral project is a colorful, fun DIY. The different shapes, patterns, and colors, as well as the process, make this a meditative art project to help you slow down and live in the moment.
- The colors of the Modern Floral Collection are designed to work in harmony to ensure a pleasing result.
- Using a simple glass frame clearly enhances this colorful bouquet!
- Try the Modern Floral Acrylic Paint Set and paint your own bold colorful floral art!