Momma and Baby Owl Tray
Posted by DecoArt on Apr 14th 2014
Create a unique and colorful family tree featuring a mother owl and her baby on a wooden tray.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- 3/4" wash brush
- #0 liner brush
- 3/8" angular shader
- #4 flat shader brush
- #6 flat shader brush
- medium-grit sandpaper
- ultra-fine point black marker
- stylus or ballpoint pen
- 8-1/2" x 12" wooden tray
- #1 flat shader brush
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Sand the tray smooth with medium-girt sandpaper and remove dust with a damp paper towel
- Using a 3/4" wash brush, basecoat the flat part of the top of the tray with a 1:5 mix of Baby Blue and Snow White.
- Using a 3/4" wash brush, basecoat the sides and the bottom of the tray Buttermilk.
- Trace the pattern onto tracing paper and, using a stylus or ballpoint pen, transfer to the flat, top part of the tray with graphite transfer paper.
- Using the #6 flat shader brush for the trunk and the larger part of the limbs, and the #0 liner brush for thinner limbs, basecoat the tree Milk Chocolate.
- Using the #4 flat shader brush, basecoat the leaves, starting with the one on the far left and proceeding clockwise: first leaf, Baby Pink and Snow White 1:1; next leaf, Hauser Light Green; next, Cadmium Yellow; next, Hauser Light Green; next, Baby Pink and Snow White 1:1; next, Hauser Light Green; next, Indian Turquoise and Snow White 1:1; next, Hauser Light Green; and last leaf at right, Flesh Tone.
- Using the #4 flat shader brush, basecoat Momma Owl with 1:1 mix of Baby Pink and Snow White; her wings, Peony Pink; Baby Owl, Cadmium Yellow; and their feet and beaks, Jack-O'-Lantern Orange. Use the #1 flat shader brush to basecoat their eyes, Snow White.
- Using the 3/8" angle shader brush for all the shading and the #0 liner brush for all the linework, shade, outline, and decorate the leaves: pink leaves, shade and outline with Royal Fuchsia and add plaid to one. Shade and outline the green leaves with Hauser Dark Green and add polka dots and plaid where indicated. Shade and outline the yellow leaf with Terra Cotta. Shade and outline the blue leaf with Calypso Blue.
- Using the 3/8" angle shader brush, shade around tree and limbs with Dark Chocolate. Add streaks of shading randomly on the trunk and limbs with Dark Chocolate. Using the 3/8" angle shader brush, add Khaki Tan highlights randomly. Using the #0 liner brush, outline around curls on the ends of branches with Dark Chocolate.
- Using the 3/8" angle shader brush, shade Momma Owl with Royal Fuchsia; around her wings with Napa Red; and Baby Owl with Terra Cotta. Using the handle end of a large paintbrush, dot in the eyes with Lamp Black.
- Using the #0 liner brush, line in "MOM" letters: first M with Peony Pink; O with Calypso Blue; and last M with Jack-O'-Lantern Orange.
- To personalize the tray, using #0 liner brush, line in the names of Mom's children on leaves with Lamp Black.
- Line around the tree, owls, leaves, and "Mom" letters with black marker.