Ornamental Poppies on Pitcher and Glasses
Posted by DecoArt on Jul 23rd 2015
Add a POP of color with these painted ornamental poppies on a glass pitcher and glasses.
- water container
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- rubbing alcohol
- #1 liner brush
- 3/8" angle brush
- 3/4" glaze/wash brush
- palette paper
- palette keeper with lid
- swivel knife
- stencil pick knife
- cutting mat
- 1/8" angle brush
- 1/8 crescent brush
- clean cloth
- grey and white graphite paper
- Con-Tact® paper
- glass pitcher and glasses set
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Wash the glass set in mild soapy water and dry with a lint-free cloth. Wipe surface with paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol
- Trace off the design onto tracing paper. Position the traced design onto the Con-Tact paper. (Note: You need to transfer only the outer perimeter of the poppies.)
- Place the Con-Tact paper with the transferred design onto a cutting mat. Using the Etchall swivel knife very carefully, cut out the flower exposing the mat underneath. Separate the top of the Con-Tact paper, exposing the adhesive and then very carefully apply it to the exterior side of the glass. Smooth out any bubbles using the Etchall squeegee; seal the outer edges of the poppies.
- Using the line drawing for color placement, basecoat each flower in Tuscan Red and Bright Orange. Pick up a generous amount of the basecoat color with a 3/4" glaze/wash brush. Keeping the bristles of the brush as parallel to the surface as possible, glide on the paint as smoothly as possible (like you were frosting a cake). Immediately but gently remove the Con-Tact paper. Allow to dry. Lightly sand uneven ridges with 400-grit sandpaper.
- Remove sanding dust and repaint the poppies using the 3/8" angular brush, avoiding the ridges.
- Allow to dry. Transfer on the petal separation using white transfer paper.
- Mix the poppy mixes in steps 8, 9, and 10 onto palette paper and then transfer onto a well-moistened paper towel placed into a palette keeper. Cover when not in use.
- For the Red Poppy: Basecoat: True Red plus 2 dots of Bright Orange; first highlight: Bright Orange and True Red 2:1; second highlight: Bright Orange; brightest highlight: Bright Orange and Primary Yellow 1:1; first shade: True Red and Tuscan Red 1:1; second shade: Tuscan Red plus a drop of Black; dark shade: Tuscan Red and Dark Chocolate.
- For the Orange Poppy: Basecoat: Bright Orange; first highlight: Bright Orange and Primary Yellow 1:1; second highlight: Primary Yellow; brightest highlight: Bright Yellow; first shade: Bright Orange, True Red, and Tuscan Red 1:1:1; second shade: True Red, Tuscan Red, Dark Chocolate, and Black 1:1:1: drop.
- For the Poppy Center: Basecoat; Avocado and Hauser Green Dark 1:1; highlight: Avocado and Primary Yellow 1:1; second hightlight: Avocado, Primary Yellow, and White 1:1:dot; pollen dots: Avocado and Primary Yellow 1:1; highlight: Primary Yellow and White 2:1.